Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-20-2020, 10:08 AM

Default Sorry

Sorry all who replied after a week at home I do this weird thing and go out to the middle of nowhere and work on an exploration drilling rig for two weeks I’m on night shift atm and I have a bit of time wear there is phone service
So that’s why the late reply
We’ll i had a look at my die before I left for work and it’s a carbide die I have never owned one before and it looks like it’s just a ring of carbide that is only 5-8mm at the bottom of the die and it just sizes the hole length of the case to one dimension from top to bottom and in doing so takes all the taper out of the case so wen I seat a bullet it opens the case at the top for the length of the bullet and just behind the bullet is wear I’m getting the seperations if that makes sense so I think it’s just a case of over sizing the brass looked at my 44mag die and it has a bit of taper in it
So new brass should be hear when I get home and im going to try just sizing the case just where the bullet is seated to hope it works
We’ll also try and find a standard die as well
I think that with the over sizing and a bit of an over size chamber in my rifle is what the problem mite be

Last edited by BG17; 03-20-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:37 PM

I think the straight walled carbide die is the culprit with a case that makes over 55,000psi. Too much sizing is going on, overworking the case just below the bullet's depth, by the sounds of it. This is just a "feeling/opinion".
Old 03-21-2020, 10:05 PM

Unless you just don't want to very lightly lube your cases and stick with the carbide die, I would get a fl standard sizing die for your cartridge. Would probably end you issue. And when you flare the end, for bullet seating, do so with a ever so slight flare. Bill K
Old 03-22-2020, 01:15 PM
Supporting Member

You can stretch a straight wall case in the resizing/decapping die and in the mouth bell die.
Take a fired case, measure the length accurately. Size and decap and measure again.....If it is longer, your sizing die is stretching the case and thinning the wall of the case.
If not then put this case in the mouth bell die and repeat measuring. If it is now longer, this die is stretching the case.
Hope this helps

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com