Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2016, 04:37 AM

Default Coyotes Feb. 20, 2016

I went calling two weeks ago and killed three adult male coyotes. One still had great fur, one was so-so, and the fur was not worth skinning on the last. I figured the fur season was pretty much over. Today's weather was forecasted to be super nice out, so I just had to make another trip. I took both my terriers, since I wasn't too worried about killing coyotes. I just wanted to get out and enjoy the nice day. I even left the FoxPro at home.

I sat behind the only tree on the prairie at my first stand and that was a mistake.

I started off with a howl and had multiple coyotes answer back. They (4)showed up on a far ridge. I let out a few rabbit cries on my Crit'r Call and here they came. Of course, all four coyotes and my dogs ended up behind the tree top. I had the nicest looking coyote picked out and got it shot. After the shot, two of the coyotes boogied immediately, but the other one stopped to take another look. I made a quick guess of 300 yards and let the 17 buck - Whiffed it. I ranged it at 380 yards after the shot.

The gruesome two-some checking out the nice adult male. Fur looked great on this one.

While driving to my second stand, I spotted a coyote on a dead cow. I ditched the truck and tried to sneak up on it. I got to a point to where I felt like I was 200 yards away, but knew if I tried to sneak over the last ridge I would get busted. So, I decided to try some soft calling - it didn't work. The coyotes (turned out there were two there) spooked and I saw them running away up the far hillside. I let out a long howl with my voice to stop them, then ranged the nicer looking one at 386 yards. The mighty 17 bellowed and down went the coyote.

I hit it a little in front of the shoulder and had to give the coyote a coupe de gras. It was a real nice female.

My third stand was on a prairie dog town. My dogs love to chase prairie dogs. While walking in, I was glassing ahead incase a coyote was already on the town. The dogs were way ahead of me and they kicked a coyote out a ditch. The dogs were so focused on the prairie dogs that they didn't see it. The coyote went back down into the ditch and I quickly got into position and blew the Crit'r Call. The coyote popped back up and the dogs saw it. The coyote worked the dogs somewhat and I shot it at 75 yards.

Unfortunately, this one had lice. It was a good sized male.

Last edited by Chad; 02-21-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:39 AM

After the shot, I decided to howl and I got a distant response. I let out some kiyi's and the coyote showed up. I could tell this was a real nice light colored coyote. It came in to 340 yards, but didn't seem interested in tangling with the dogs. It turned to leave and I voiced howled it to a stop and zapped it.

Beauty of a male.

By now its 11:00 a.m. and it was getting hot and muddy out. I spooked a coyote walking in to my next stand and called another one in. It had lice on its shoulder. It came in good, but two dogs were too much for it and they eventually chased it off.

I decided to try one more spot before heading home. I had a coyote show up on a distant ridge, it sat and watched for 20 minutes, then slowly walked off.

It was a real nice day on the prairie.

Last edited by Chad; 02-21-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:47 AM

Great story and pics Chad. Sounds like you and your dogs had a very nice day. I love hunting with my dog.
Pete
Old 02-21-2016, 10:17 AM

As always, great story and pics Chad! Well done once again.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:51 PM
Supporting Member

Garbage bag and flea powder. In California almost all had lice and that was our trick to kill them off. Wrap them up, pour it in, drive home, between those three things it was enough to kill off the lice in a matter of hours.

Adam
Old 02-21-2016, 02:30 PM

Thanks guys.

Adam - the lice we have here is a species of canine chewing lice. They feed on skin cells. Lice fur damage is generally on the back of their neck and shoulders. I imagine the coyotes roll on their backs to scratch the feeding lice, which breaks down the fur. Pure speculation there though. I don't skin the lousy ones.

http://www.gf.nd.gov/wildlife/fish-w...r/trichodectes
Old 02-21-2016, 05:33 PM

Nicely done and well told!

- DAA
Old 02-22-2016, 12:21 AM
Supporting Member

I always enjoy your stories and photos. Nicely done!
Old 02-22-2016, 03:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Bag n spray works for fleas too.

Some great calling and fine results.
good for you, thanks for sharing.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-22-2016, 01:33 PM
Supporting Member

Great read, I enjoyed the photos.

Tom