Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 05-15-2016, 03:14 PM
Supporting Member

Default Need help to replace stock on rifle

I don't like plastic stocks, I want a nice wood stock. Whom would I buy the wood from and who would do the actual fitting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:13 AM

I would sure give these folks a try.

http://accurateinnovations.com/

http://aigunstocks.com/

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/...S1112/?Page=52

Last edited by K22; 05-16-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

Default replacing stock

Usually the steps are first, finding the wood, I have several blanks that I won't use and don't have a lot into. Second is finding someone to turn it for you, 2 come to mind. First is Mark Wieder with Jacks Mountain Gun Stocks in PA, another is Douglas Wyatt who is a member here. I know both have CZ patterns as well as others, the ones I used with Mark are still owned by Ray Hauver if he hasn't made some of his own. Douglas will provide you with a finished product, Mark just turns wood. At this point you have a couple options as these stocks will be 90-95% inletted, finish them yourself or open your wallet and pay someone. Even the cheap route you'll have from 250.00 up, depending on what wood you use, before the expensive part starts. It's at this point that most guys that want some nice wood on their rifles swallow hard and exit stage right. If your involvement is pointing, clicking, and paying then you will be hard pressed to stay under 500.00 unless you buy a finished stock and you'll probably have to do some minor inletting. I finished this one my self, bought the wood right (75.00) and I have right at 280.00 in it with all the shipping costs counted. I do know Boyds have finished stocks but there you'll be limited to laminate or plain Walnut unless you want to roll the dice on what they call XXX wood. Another thing to consider and this was brought up on another thread. What you see on the outside of your blank may not be there when the chips stop flying and something you didn't see like a knot hole or void may, again it's one of those dice things. Now...go forth and get you one of them custom stocks for your fav rifle!

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 05-16-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Supporting Member

Default pic of a Rem 700 SA Custom stock on the cheap

Pic of my Rem 700 SA 6.5x47 Lapua. Again I have about 300.00 in this one all in. Turned by Mark, Ray's pattern but I had to modify it for a repeater....something I won't do again! This was actually a parts gun assembled, ie action/bolt/trigger/Btm metal/barrel...and stock.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:53 PM
Supporting Member

There is no limit on the design.

If it's a CZ the action will go in the stock from me.

I cut the barrel channel a little shy so you can fit your barrel

into it.

I can do something like these. Send me a PM

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=bhlzc5&s=5#.VzoC4kbpZ6k

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=aauddj&s=5#.VzoEiUbpZ6k

I can do any of them right or left hand. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.

Last edited by sicero; 05-16-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:56 PM
Supporting Member

Thank you all, It's a rampro action
Old 05-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Supporting Member

Default Rampro huh...

Well that makes it a little more difficult as no one will have a pattern for it. Options now change to buy a turned stock with no in-letting and either do everything yourself or pay someone to do it. I have a Rampro and went through the same thing with mine, it has a laminate stock on it. Kevin Weaver barreled it and chatting with him he made me a deal on in-letting a stock and pillar bedding it. I ordered the turned un-inletted stock from Boyds and had it sent straight to Kevin. Rifle is a 20VT, and it turned out well. I applied a Tru-oil finish and actually stained the stock with some minwax wood dye. Results on the dye were a little less than I would have liked, kinda streaky. I would rather have had a nice piece of wood on it but that's not how it worked out because of timing. Here's some pics of my Rampro.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 05-17-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks Chuck, I'll speak to Kevin, mine's a 20 Mink and I want a quality piece of wood.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

17V:

Better have plenty of balance in your bank acct if you hire Weaver.
He's also backed up by months last I talked to him. still a fine man to
deal with and does beautiful work.

I picked up a rebuild last June that he did for me, all custom stuff. My stock, action, barrel and other parts, still cost over $3300 for the labor end of it.

IF your plastic stock isn't worth a whole lot it might make a good donor for a pattern. I'd bet Sicero would like to have a Rampro pattern on hand. It would end up with some minor screw hole damage on the forearm tip, the butt shouldn't be hurt any though. They have to attach wood blocks on the ends to mount the pattern in the duplicator. Otherwise there shouldn't be any noticeable damage.

Good luck, Chuck: Fine looking planks on a couple there!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-25-2016, 03:25 PM

This is a stock that Accurate Innovations did for my Kimber. Adam Bentley did the truing of the action, lapped lugs, ect. and rebarreled it with a Lilja barrel contoured for the Kimbers. Both companies did outstanding work.