Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 01-26-2019, 05:45 PM

Default TITANIUM action

I'm thinking about my next build which was going to be a light-weight bolt action sporter - repeater 20BR using a TITANIUM action intended for low volume annual shooting.
I was wondering if anyone has gone the TITANIUM route.
I've read that PIERCE and BORDEN are top choices.

Is there any galling or sticky issues ?
stainless bolt into a titanium action ?
Old 01-26-2019, 06:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Al I have a Remington 700 ti in 20 br, like you I built it for very limited shooting on coyotes. it has been fired about 20 times after a quick load work up, maybe another 20 rounds. two of which was the only call I made while carrying the rifle. mike Bryant did the work and he made it a repeater. mike shortened a ss follower and blocked the magazine to make it feed.
the 2 coyotes came charging hard to about 100 yards before I stopped them. took the female dead on frontal shot, drt. the male turned and hit the after burners. when he hit about 350 yards I hit the FoxPro with a coyote in distress. he hit the brakes at 400 yards to look back. it would be the last look he would take. that was in 1999 and it has been a safe queen ever since I left New Mexico.

the rifle is very light and easy to carry, best of all it isn't hard to shoot and was a tack driver right from the start.

Last edited by foxhunter; 01-26-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:05 PM

Over the years I've owned a few factory REM. 700 Titanium sporter's in various calibres but always sold them due to poor accuracy. The rifle/action itself was very light weight and none of them ever gave me any working problems.

Today, owners of the 700 Titaniums are asking a lot of money for those rifles making the purchase of custom action a smarter direction to go.

The Titanium action is a higher cost then the stainless and I'm wondering if there is any other negative thoughts when comparing both.

Last edited by AlbertaAl; 01-26-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:19 PM

Al, don't have any Titanium rifle action experience, but I have worked with a bunch of Titanium aircraft engine parts, and the high load/stressed articles are always well lubed, usually with a Molybdenum Disulfide coating, typically with a baked on coating called Molykote.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:24 PM

Hi Al,
Has been about 8 years since I last posted here. Am in the process of ‘re-building’ my 20BR - will post the finished rifle when complete in a few weeks. Lots of bunnies around at the moment - New Zealand summer.

I used to own a Rem700 Ti that I had chambered in 260AI. I agree it was not that accurate (but what is compared to the small calibres!). I have also been thinking of preparing a light weight carry varminter in 20BR (using the same reamer and cases that I haven been using). The number if custom TI on offer today also has me thinking about this option too - in a non-repeater.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:50 PM

Default titanium action

when I was in business I put barrels on 4 different Borden Titanium actions. like all bolt actions, just keep a bit of grease on the cocking cam and on the lugs and they work fine. it has been a few years and never had any of those customers complain.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:29 PM

My interest in TITANIUM actions was solely for having a lightweight 20BR rifle.
It would be used for "coyote calling" and for long distance (300-500 yd) shots.
All the hunting shots would be fast-set-up shots using a bi-pod
Lots of handling ~ walking, getting in and out of the truck, in and out of the house. Way more handling then shooting ...(maybe 300 shots or less per year)
I was concerned about TITANIUMs causing the bolt binding, galling, sticking...it would have a stainless bolt so maybe these problems don't exist. Looking for a smooth action that glides with no sticking or gummy'ness

Last edited by AlbertaAl; 01-27-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:43 PM

I'm not sure the action could handle a 20 br but what about going with a smaller steel action like Howa's Mini action which I would think would yield a similar finished weight. I know they make one in 6.5g/7.62x39 which is a .44" bolt face @ 52k psi going to .473" shouldn't be a big issue however bumping up almost another 10k psi may be a different story.

Cartridge over all length shouldn't be an issue and there are several chassis/stocks out already that can accept AICS DBM

Some other items to consider in the weight reduction is the Howa Mini is a ~1" action as apposed 1.25"+ of most other actions on the market so the weight savings of the barrel shank alone should make up for most of the weight reduction.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

cz mini Mauser was made in the mini action and chambered in 22-250 and they were cheap. I see them pop up for sale once in a while.
both my ti actions sound like a fine pair of scissors when you close them. I always keep a good lubricant on the locking lugs.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
cz mini Mauser was made in the mini action and chambered in 22-250 and they were cheap. I see them pop up for sale once in a while.
both my ti actions sound like a fine pair of scissors when you close them. I always keep a good lubricant on the locking lugs.
Maybe ...your 20BR titanium is for sale ?
I would be interested to have first chance to consider if it was...