Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-22-2020, 04:13 PM

Why they are working is they are being speced with a fast twist barrel with the appropriate throat to work with vld bullets in factory rifles, and the 6.5cm is has a case length to work in short action mags. Simple as that. It's kind of like the 6mm compared to the .243. Had the 6mm had a 1-9 twist barrel, the .243 might never have been popular. All of these rounds are inspired by the long range steel shooting, which is a big boom to the shooting industry in general. A much larger variety of powders have allowed lot's of tweaking with case capacities to allow smaller cases maintaining velocities.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:08 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Why they are working is they are being speced with a fast twist barrel with the appropriate throat to work with vld bullets in factory rifles, and the 6.5cm is has a case length to work in short action mags. Simple as that. It's kind of like the 6mm compared to the .243. Had the 6mm had a 1-9 twist barrel, the .243 might never have been popular. All of these rounds are inspired by the long range steel shooting, which is a big boom to the shooting industry in general. A much larger variety of powders have allowed lot's of tweaking with case capacities to allow smaller cases maintaining velocities.

The biggest knock on the 6.5 Rem Mag as a hunting cartridge since it came out years ago was the fact that long 6.5 bullets had to be seated down below the case neck into the powder area, hence significantly decreasing powder capacity, to work/feed in a fixed length magazine repeating rifle. It was the same short cartridge mantra that kept the 284 Winchester cartridge from gaining the popularity that it probably also deserved also in roughly the same time frame as the 6.5 Rem mag.

A VLD bullet in a 6.5 case today will have the same negative effect on velocity in a rifle with a fixed length magazine. A VLD bullet in one set up as a single shot for target purposes would add to the velocity potential of the cartridge but a VLD bullet in a repeating rifle won't. Newer powders help, but they are not an end-all solution. Long range accuracy buffs will continue to do what they have done for years: that is tout and beat a drum over the latest and newest solution for everyone to follow. And the list will go on as long as long range shooting is popular as to what the latest "answer" is. Does this mean that the 6.5 CM has fallen from favor as the ultimate answer that it was touted to be a few years ago? Surely not..!!

For a fact, long range accuracy buffs have been anal for years over issues affecting accuracy such as action lengths, cartridge case efficient powder columns, rifle throating for the "proper bullet", ad nauseum. The non-deniable fact is that any rifle that is set up properly (read as good rifle smithing) with a good cartridge that will achieve the velocity desired for the target shooting application will be a winner. All of the fluff is just that: fluff that makes for interesting reading and that sells new rifles for the shooting industry.

George, all of us older dudes remember the poor quality hunting bullets from 40 years ago. Even a typical 30 caliber hunting bullet would fail dramatically at times at 30-06 velocities back then. I've shot nothing but partition type bullets for years in both 6.5 and 7MM magnum cartridges on big game. The only cup and core bullet that I've had good luck with throughout the years is the Sierrra 160 grain 7MM boat tail spitzer bullet in the 7 Mag. It holds together well at 7MM mag velocities and kills extremely well. Thank goodness for better bullets today.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-22-2020, 06:05 PM

[quote=Bayou City Boy;290840]The biggest knock on the 6.5 Rem Mag as a hunting cartridge since it came out years ago was the fact that long 6.5 bullets had to be seated down below the case neck into the powder area

Only when you could not find or obtain some of Winchester's bullets they came out with in the 264 Mag that had the stepped down diameter, believe the one's we had were 139 Grain and shot well. Bill K

( bullet wise, back then I shot Sierra's a lot, but the old Rem Core Lokt was a good one and to this day is still taking lots of game. And of course the Nosler Partition has been one of my go too bullets for game, for decades.)

Last edited by Bill K; 06-22-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:33 PM
Supporting Member

Bill, about the only time that I buy factory ammunition is to shoot a box through a newly purchased "old" rifle to check its condition before I use my own hand loads in it.

If I was regularly buying hunting ammunition off the shelf, the Remington Core Lokt bullets/ammunition in various non-magnum cartridges would be my first choice without hesitation. The Core Lokts are indeed good hunting bullets.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-22-2020, 09:09 PM

[quote=Bayou City Boy;290843]Bill, about the only time that I buy factory ammunition is to shoot a box through a newly purchased "old" rifle to check its condition before I use my own hand loads in it.

Sound about like I do. A box or two, for starter brass and to get it set up, then go to only handloads, worked up for that firearm, both rifle and handguns.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Shucks, I don't even shoot factory then, or ever.
unless it's rimfire.

had a guy from Wis come out to go elk hunting with me.
Brought 2 boxes each: .243, '06, .300 Win/m, all fancy stuff.

I took 'em to a local gun store and swapped for reloading supplies.
Got quite a pile of it too.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-23-2020, 12:28 PM

At that point in time, there were still a huge amount of people that related anything metric to WWII and commies.

I was a bit younger then but read every gun rag I could get my hands on. If one writer wrote it up as a fail, the rest seemed to follow. Marketing at the time was also different, build it and let see how it sells. If it didn’t sell it was dropped.
Think not, they turned around and did it again with all the various short mags, then let the consumer decide what they wanted.
Nosler cartridges have a fair following, but pretty much cloneing what Weatherby did years before.

The CM chamberings do one thing that what we already had didn’t, throated for longer bullets with a faster twist.

There is very little “new”. Just some tweaking here and there, with maybe or maybe not an improvement.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:27 AM
Supporting Member

Hi George,

Nope, just Rifle and Handloader.
Enjoy the new additions to your library.
Michael