Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2018, 02:57 AM

Talking Mini Howa Custom Floormetal etc...

Hi guys
Been lurking for years. I'm an avid fan of little rifles. Many of you have probably seen pics of the custom mini MarkX Mauser I built several years ago.

Later I bought a CZ in 204 thinking I would build some custom parts for it as well, but there isn't enough metal left to make it a staggered magazine.

Then along came the Howa Mini action. I had some left over parts from the mini Mauser floormetals I made 20 years ago and took a trigger guard and floorplate and drew up some "rails" to fit the mini howa with these parts. I really like the mini markX customs I've built, but they are a truck load of work to turn into something I want to sign my name to. The Howa action is a well made slick action. The floormetal and magazine. well.... I don't want to break any forum rules being brutally honest here. The price of the rifle is beyond reasonable. It just needs some chrome valve covers, chrome air cleaner and some cool braided hoses to complete the package.

I've got a prototype mag box folded up (requires minor feed rail mods), robbed the mag spring and follower from my full size 223 1500 Howa and made the floormetal to match that seen above in the custom MiniX pics. Feeds great and loads from the top like a normal rifle. Other metal parts to be made are a three position safety and custom bolt handle that can be installed with some dovetail machining and silver solder to match custom classic parts like in the pics above. For custom stock parts I make all my patterns from scratch and recently acquired a full size CNC with digitizing capability so I can offer a CNC inlet and CNC machined outside shape for those interested in doing a little finish work of their own. Back in the early 90s I built& digitized patterns for Dakota Arms. It's not the latest tech, but very effective in producing a semi inlet that requires little work to finish. I also have access to a synthetic stockmaker that will make stocks off my pattern. Just takes some startup cash to build the mold.

Hope there's a little interest in the project. I also have a thumbhole pattern I got 25 years ago from my TSJC instructor Ed Shulin that I've never used and he had no problem with me using it for profit.

Hope I'm not steppin on any toes with the shameless plug, just thought those that read this forum are as big a fan of little rifles as I am.

Regards
James Anderson
Gunmaker

Tags
custom, howa, mauser, mini