Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-28-2020, 02:23 PM

Double D. Looks good and what a way to improvise and have a finished rifle that is working well for you. Very cleaver.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:35 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks D-D, I didn't want to say but my old 870 duck gun would go several seasons with Flat Blk Rustoleum paint before needing a touch up. At arms length it looked great. These are tools to be used.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:30 PM

I wondered about the Cerakote, I ordered 2 bags of paint, I thought, from a store up here, thinking I was getting paint powder for powder coating cast bullets. What was sent was 2 bags of Cerakote. So - it sits on the shelf in the box it arrived in.
I don't think I want to shoot that from either handguns nor my rifles.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:20 PM

I have a Henry H001 22LR lever action that I bought years ago. I loaned it out and found the paint on the receiver cover was badly scratched. I tried to paint it twice, couldn't get it to stick. I found out that the cover was an alloy. I sent it to a gunsmith and had it Cerakoted, looks great and it is still like it was when I got it back. I am very happy with the result. It is sprayed on, but they spray metal onto worn bearing surfaces, saving expensive components. My 2cents.
Bill
Old 11-29-2020, 01:00 AM
Supporting Member

Also, you have to keep in mind that there is a Durakote (fancy paint) and Cerakote, a 2 part chemical/heat cured paint that is much more wear resistant. I think the two frequently get confused with each other. What others said about surface prep is the absolute gospel.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:00 AM

"surface prep is the absolute gospel" is the key to any painting, especially spray painting. I haven't done any Cerakote or Durakote, but I have done my share of autobody and furniture painting.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynmoose View Post
I have a Henry H001 22LR lever action that I bought years ago. I loaned it out and found the paint on the receiver cover was badly scratched. I tried to paint it twice, couldn't get it to stick. I found out that the cover was an alloy. I sent it to a gunsmith and had it Cerakoted, looks great and it is still like it was when I got it back. I am very happy with the result. It is sprayed on, but they spray metal onto worn bearing surfaces, saving expensive components. My 2cents.
Bill
I never knew they sprayed metal to fix worn out surfaces. Then do they machine it to make everything fit? How much extra did that cost?

Hal
Old 11-29-2020, 05:41 AM

The company I worked for years ago worked on a lot of Caterpillars. In our dry volcanic soil there is quite a bit of wear. There was a machine shop in Pendleton that did the work for us. I never saw them do the job but the pieces returned to us, built up and machined to the correct spec. I was told the process included spraying the surfaces with metal, I know it took special equipment.
Bill
Old 11-29-2020, 10:27 AM

Machine shop at the Cone Mills Plant where I was a Supervisor for a couple years, sprayed ruined shafts with molten metal and then turned them on a lathe. The exact procedure I don't know but I saw the results many times.

As for Cerakote, I have a custom 6.5 CM that was based on a blued receiver, blue printed with a custom PTG bolt and a Stainless Brux barrel, coated with Armor black and so far after three years not a bit of wear or thinning. The only good way to get a uniform color match.

Innovations don't stand still folks and a lot of them are genuine improvements.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:19 AM

If it's "sprayed" on, it's "paint". Now what did I do with that bug spray paint.