Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-02-2021, 03:30 PM
Supporting Member

I just checked, Lilja does make a 6 tw barrel in 4.6 cal Don't understand Lilja producing them if someone isn't using them.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:03 AM
Supporting Member

Ray, I had forgotten what the deal was with them bullets but now that you mention it that sounds correct… For some reason I was thinking you found somebody who made the 18 caliber barrel lol
Old 01-03-2021, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBear View Post
When the issue is copper barrel fouling, the generalization is mostly a barrel quality issue (tooling marks and rifling surface finnish) more than any other factor regardless of caliber.

Exactly - barrel quality and mostly Remington factory barrels in .17Rem - clean every 15 rounds or else!! that is where the fouling issue came from. If you are running 3,100fps, then of course, there is bound to be less fouling.
My CZ Hornet running 3,340fps and 3,357fps does not copper foul at all, for at least 500rounds, the most I have put through it in a day's gopher shooting.
I put 7,000round through that barrel with never any copper fouling, and used only Ed's Red for cleaning, with or without acetone.

With my factory .17Rem. CZ barrel, I run 300 rounds between cleaning and there is just a tich of copper in the barrel and one pass with Butches Bore Shine and it's clean if that is at the end of the day, I simply put FoamOut in on a nylon brush for an overnight soak and done - one patch in the morning..

My Pac-Nor barrel picks up zero copper over 400 rounds of shooting. Butches or Ed's Red is all I use in it.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:37 PM
Supporting Member

Not to cause any vapors, but I'm curios as to how many folks actually owned any of these 70's vintage Rem 700 BDL rifles in 17 Remington that required cleaning every 15 rounds, "or else"?

I owned three of them before I had a custom rifle with a custom barrel built in the early 1980's -1982 iirc. None of the 3 BDL's ever caused any fouling problems and occasionally went 100+ rounds before cleaning - just because. The custom was the first to ever show any copper fouling..... And it would get to 50-60 rounds before it happened.

In later years, several familiar gun writers admitted that even though they had never shot a 17 Remington, and in one case had never actually seen one, to them it just made "good sense" that they would foul. That is where many of the fouling stories originated by being repeated in print.

That was not my reality. YMMV.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 01-03-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:44 PM

Talking Dodging the "bait" on .172" rem barrels...

I wonder who bought a 4.6mm barrel from Lilja and where did all of those 4.6mm 40gr fmj bullets go that were for sale a while back on the Midway web site?

Old 01-03-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Exactly - barrel quality and mostly Remington factory barrels in .17Rem - clean every 15 rounds or else!! that is where the fouling issue came from. If you are running 3,100fps, then of course, there is bound to be less fouling.
My CZ Hornet running 3,340fps and 3,357fps does not copper foul at all, for at least 500rounds, the most I have put through it in a day's gopher shooting.
I put 7,000round through that barrel with never any copper fouling, and used only Ed's Red for cleaning, with or without acetone.

With my factory .17Rem. CZ barrel, I run 300 rounds between cleaning and there is just a tich of copper in the barrel and one pass with Butches Bore Shine and it's clean if that is at the end of the day, I simply put FoamOut in on a nylon brush for an overnight soak and done - one patch in the morning..

My Pac-Nor barrel picks up zero copper over 400 rounds of shooting. Butches or Ed's Red is all I use in it.

Thanks. I'd love to know from someone who's shot ultra heavy 37/45 grainers, if the fouling was appreciably lower than a 4000fps loading.

I also wondered if fancy CHF barrels would reduce fouling, or conversely, unusual bullet materials.

That was the goal of the project, to try and create a microcaliber that can cope with huge volumes of fire
Old 01-03-2021, 06:13 PM

Rich have you shot your 17 caliber and seen or found fouling ? Or are you just going on what some post ?
Take yours out, shoot it and see for yourself, if you have issues. Even if you see some, a damp patch ran through the bore on occasion would do no harm and keep you shooting .
Old 01-03-2021, 06:58 PM

Bayou City Boy - good post. No, never owned one of the clean every 15 rounds or they would keyhole rifle.
I am guilty of reporting as fact, what I read back in the 60's and 70's about them, from articles in Guns &Ammo, Shooting Times & Rifle magazines. I had subscriptions to them all.
Obviously from your post, this was not the case in your situation & likely not the case in others as well.
We've all also read about how they are blown about in wind more than any other varmint round, also not true in many cases, the opposite is true.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:22 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
I wonder who bought a 4.6mm barrel from Lilja and where did all of those 4.6mm 40gr fmj bullets go that were for sale a while back on the Midway web site?

Maybe some folks own semi-auto H&K 97's or maybe even full blown H&K MP7's..........?

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:33 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Bayou City Boy - good post. No, never owned one of the clean every 15 rounds or they would keyhole rifle.
I am guilty of reporting as fact, what I read back in the 60's and 70's about them, from articles in Guns &Ammo, Shooting Times & Rifle magazines. I had subscriptions to them all.
Obviously from your post, this was not the case in your situation & likely not the case in others as well.
We've all also read about how they are blown about in wind more than any other varmint round, also not true in many cases, the opposite is true.

Thanks, Daryl.......

I read the same stuff repeatably in the 1970's and later on so often that I wondered if I was doing something wrong with my early BDL 17 Remington rifles.

There is no doubt that barrels are much better today than they were across the board in the 1970's, but one or two gun writers began the mantra without a lot of "experience" about 17 caliber rifles and others simply picked up on it. Most of them had no experience at what they were writing about, but, "If Joe says it's so, it must be so, so I'll repeat it" became a common theme for articles about 17 caliber rifles......

Go figure...........

-BCB