Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-05-2020, 03:14 PM

Default Moorepower

Where's our update from your Texas Safari...were tuskers killed and eaten?!
Old 03-06-2020, 09:51 PM

I came down and had a blast! Sadly only my nephew got a boar, about 150 lbs. The temps were around 65-70, so it was a nice change of pace. The owner of the ranch and the owner of the other land we hunted on told us that they saw quite a few more when it was colder and raining. I saw two but didn't get a shot, and the one my nephew shot, he say about 2 seconds before I did! That was on one 40 acre patch of the most nasty, tree/ thorn/ wild rose/ more tree infested, did I say nasty, "pasture" we hunted, we say all kinds of tracks, fresh poop, water splashed from the wallows that had not dried to know that they were thick in there, but unless they were in a clearing you would never see them. I went out with the landowner of the ranch we stayed one night and it probably was the most exhilarating I have ever felt hunting. The pasture we hunted had more open areas ad fewer trees and brush than the first, but it had it's share that was painful to walk through and some areas that were nearly impossible to get through. On the way out to the lake where we saw activity earlier in the day, I had a fairly heavy pig run right in front of me, I would say within feet, but never saw it. I say pretty heavy from the sound an feel of it running. I grew up around pigs on our farm, in a pen not in the open, and it is easy to tell a pig from a deer or any other animal due to the quick heavy steps running. The only thing we saw was a muskrat swiming in the lake. It was less than / moon and fairly overcast. As unimpressed as i am with the ATN 4k shooting paper, I have to say I was floored that it was as good as it was at night. With no illumination I could have shot a racoon at over 100 yards and with the IR illuminator supplied with the scope, probably close to 175yds. It's no thermal for sure, but for using no more than I will use it, I am pleased. As we were walking out I had another pig run behind me, and it was close enough I felt the ground through my feet. That got me to turn around about as fast as this 58 year old body can turn and probably sounded a bit like a girl I never saw that one either but damn sure got my heart rate up. It did not help that about 5 miles from there a large black cat carried a goat by the neck over a 4' fence. It was always in the back of my mind as I am walking around in nearly pitch dark. As odd as it sounds that was probably the best couple of hours of the trip! It really jacked me up and put a wide smile on my face. We ate too much, drank enough, shot skeet until my shoulder cried uncle, and had a fantastic visit! We are planning on making the trek next year! it goes to show that, as with my fall Elk hunt, sometimes it's the folks your with and a new adventure that make a hunt successful, not killing what your hunting that makes the trip worthy.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:12 AM
Supporting Member

I'm glad to hear that you had a good time. Come back soon and often.

Depending on terrain and ground cover, pig hunting can be tough at times. But sometimes the hunt is far more fun that the kill.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-07-2020, 03:45 PM

The older I get the more I understand that there's more to hunting than bringing home the meat. Now when it comes to Prairie Dogs, I want lead flying! The closest thing I have come to that terrain would be picking raspberries, only with a bunch or trees around the vines. To quote Arnold, "I'll be back".
Old 03-07-2020, 07:32 PM

I am glad you had a good time. The 100-1000 yard shots are fantasy, UNLESS you are the friend or hired gun to eradicate hogs on large Commercial Farm (massive acreage fields).

For the rest of us hobbyists its rough country and 50-100 yard shooting. The night vision hunting is very cool. I really would have loved it 20 years ago when I was willing to stay up several nights in a row. Now I think of going hog hunting as camping / sleeping in a Motel 8 without the bed bugs. I enjoy the down time alone...so does my wife!
Old 03-09-2020, 05:44 PM

I used a AR in 7.62X39 with a 16" barrel. My only mistake was not swapping out the NV for a lighter weight scope for the day hunt. I will also be buying a couple of 10 round mags to replace the 20 round. I really wanted a lighter weight gun with less things hanging down to catch the wild rose bushes with. I also forgot to endorse the Duluth trading firehose jeans. I can't say a thorn actually got thru them. My wife and I went down along with Brother in law with his wife and yo son. The small, "800" acre ranch with cabins is owned my the wifes 1st cousin and her significant other, which were very gracious hosts. I totally agree on the range of shots. a 50yd zero would be ideal along with a 3x scope. My nephew used a 6.5 Grendel and the boar ran possibly 20yds with a perfect neck shot. The night thing does not bother me as much as getting up, as I drive a big brown semi at night for a living. I think back how much use the NV would have got on top of a PCP airgun shooting pest birds in barns and buildings in my youth.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:25 PM
Supporting Member

Awhile back I bought Ruger American in 7.62x39 to use as a 4-wheeler type of gun. I put a Leupold 1.5x5 scope with a Pig-Plex reticle on it. It shoots really well and the combination works good for most of my hog hunting needs while down country.

The old down side to the combination is that cycling the bolt on the Ruger American rifle is kin to pushing a1.5" log chain up a 2" piece of sewer pipe. Smooth cycling is not a part of the equation.... "Brisk" cycling of the bolt is a definite requirement.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-09-2020, 11:33 PM

My AR15 300BO with 16" barrel is dedicated to the night sight...it gets heavy quick. Also, I usually bring out my CZ527 (300BO) with Vortex 3-9 scope for daytime (late afternoon and early morning). Both of my rifles are sighted for 50 yards using the same ammo. It is a bit of a hassle to bring 2 guns but it is a manageable solution. I am flirting with building a 6.5 Grendel upper (18") and simply swap out uppers and mags.

In heavy brush nothing beats a SBR fitted with something like the Magpul Multi-Mission sling configured in the single attachment point loop...gun just dangles in front of you. However, SBR is less than ideal in a blind or with heavy night optic.... not enough rail to comfortably rest it on the window ledge.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:53 PM

I have a 10.5 .300 BO "pistol" . Would that be adequate for most, taking neck shots? That with a 10 round magazine and a 3X prism sight would be a lite package.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I have a 10.5 .300 BO "pistol" . Would that be adequate for most, taking neck shots? That with a 10 round magazine and a 3X prism sight would be a lite package.
Yes. I have 8.5" SBR. Load up some of the Barnes TAC-TX 110gr bullets (black tip) with H110 and you are set!!! Stick it in their ear and it will drop them. Prism is perfect...which one are you running?

The two downsides to SBR are:
(1) crossing state lines - must notify ATF in advance with travel itinerary
(2) if hunting from blind there isn't enough hand guard to comfortably rest on window sill without having to jam yourself against front wall of blind

You get to sidestep issue #1 with your AR Pistol...loopholes are nice!