Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 09-15-2014, 04:56 PM

What you need to do is bore to drill diameter from the breach end just past the ejector cut, then drill it near to diameter, cut the stub off and then ream the hole true from the muzzle end. The reamer will be supported by the reamed stub when it gets to the ejector cut. If I were trying to get a precision hole through a stub, that would be my plan. Larry
Old 09-17-2014, 12:09 AM

I like the way that you think Bear.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:26 PM

Arrow sidenote for those who have a rare rimfire.

On an unrelated side note Midway had 17Aguila ammunition available yesterday. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/250...int?cm_vc=U112

Old 09-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Supporting Member

The box says Eley Primed, are they now using Eley cases??? Isn't the velocity up also?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:46 AM

Thumbs up

I have no idea about the velocity being increased, but the Eley prime process reduces the potential shot to shot velocity deviation dramatically. The Velocity should be around the standard for this cartridge, 1850 with a 20 grain bullet, and at the price given, it is both cheaper and available in large bulk lots. If you are intent to eat what you hunt, then, it is a pretty good choice for lack of the 17HM2. It shoots in 17HM2 firearms, offers less meat damage, but still a much similar flat trajectory in line with the 17HM2 out to 125 yards. It should be considered for the time being as a suitable substitute to the out of stock 17HM2, a.k.a 17M2.

If it shoots well and you are looking for a way to get your 17hm2 shooting, then see what it does.

As far as the Eley prime process enhancing the performance, the only thing I can say is that actual Eley 22lr is rigorously designed for perfection. If the major reason is the Eley Prim process, then I would give the idea a shot.

It is loaded with a different priming process that the PMC version:http://www.varminter.com/particles/17pmc.htm
But still with the same style projectile.

The 20 grain xtp 17hmr loading is a perfect load, this bullet may be made with a thinner jacket but my suspicion is that it is not going to rip apart at terminal velocity given by the Aguila case. It still has my attention because I could shoot it in a 17m2 chambering and switch to the 17m2 ammo when it returns to the marketplace.

With bulk packs of 500, and 5000 rounds being offered at such a reasonable price, I would be inclined to at the very least give it a try if I had a 17m2 chambering.

Because I prefer to eat what I shoot, the non explosive expansion offered has my attention.

I load the 20gr xtp 17 hmr bullet in my 17M4, and 17 Fireball, at all velocities it is a wonderful little bullet. At 2500fps it mushrooms beautifully at 100yds. At around 2000fps it is ridiculously accurate out of my 17M4 2" TC barrel.

My experience with the 20 grain xtp bullet has made me want more. A guy here on this forum sold me a few thousand of each of the 17hmr bullets.17 grain vmax and 20 grain xtp, along with the 20gr varmint nightmare extreme. They are surprisingly good at velocities that they were purportedly not intended to be used.

Last edited by 17tbs; 09-19-2014 at 02:22 AM. Reason: added information
Old 09-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Supporting Member

Check out our member, "Eagles View", site for TC stubs, he makes a couple of types.

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 PM

Do any of you happen to have one of the EVA stubs?

Last edited by 17tbs; 09-19-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:13 AM

Didn't realize they were still making the round. Does anyone offer a current production barrel for the 10/22 in 17 PMC, Aguila, or High Standard?
Old 09-21-2014, 02:01 AM

Default 17Aguila 17 PMC 17 High Standard ammo

Ddwn

I just spotted the information, as of now, no, unless you asked Volquartsen for a special barrel.

As all information on the Internet is of questionable veracity, I would bet that it would cause you much grief in a 17hm2 barrel though in a pinch it would do, it would be very dirty, and you wouldn't want to be firing any 17hm2 ammo until you thoroughly cleaned and function checked the action for feeding and returning the bolt to the fully forward position.

If you wanted to you could probably try it, but I wouldn't in a semi auto unless it were absolutely necessary.

It would be much more prudent to use a barrel specifically chambered and a tuned bolt in the 10/22 format than to just use it in a 17hm2.

That being said, I would not have to think twice about using the Aguila ammo in a bolt action, it would just need to have the chamber cleaned out more frequently than if using the 17hm2 ammo.

Get a 17hm2 bolt action, fire either ammo, and for the moment stock up on plenty of ammo for cheap and in large lots. Do not expect this situation to replicate itself, so, if you shoot plenty, then go buy 5k or 10k of t house e Aguila, especially if you have the money laying around.

The accuracy of course would be better in a 17Aguila chamber, but it doesn't seem to suffer much degradation when fired in the 17hm2 chamber bolt actions.

What is not to like about this? If you have one, stock up. If you have a 17hm2 bolt action stock up. Either way you get back to buisness.

Last edited by 17tbs; 09-21-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:03 AM

Cool EVA Stubs

Now, does anyone have one of the EVA stubs? Im trying to get back on track.

Tags
17vha, tc 17vha, vha