Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2018, 09:07 PM

Default Bob Sled Loading Block for CZ 527

I have a question specific to using the Bob Sled load block (single shot adapter) for the CZ 527. I know it works fine with push action bolts, but how does it work with CZ's control feed bolt? Is there any issues with its extractor claw popping over the case?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2018, 09:57 PM

I can't speak directly to the Bob Sled single shot adapter as I use the Calhoun version but the extractor riding over the case rim is a non issue. Somewhere in either the CZ owners manual or their web site they (CZ) mention this and say it's not a problem.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:28 PM

Was considering buying a BobSled for my CZ 223. Spoke with the designer(Bob Hahin) and he indicated that the extractor still "pops over" the case rim with a CZ 527 BobSled. As David S indicated, CZ owners manual indicates this is not a problem. The forward edge of the CZ extractor is beveled.

Last edited by JohnHenry; 06-03-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:06 AM

I got a bobsled with one of my CZ527s.
I would buy one from Calhoon before I spent the money on the bobsled.

It's not that the bobsled does not work, but the Calhoon could not be worse.

I was looking the other day and I could find no current info on the bobsled or one in stock anywhere for the 527.

Jeff
Old 06-04-2018, 12:10 AM

I have two of the Calhoons on a couple CZ 527s. They have worked flawlessly...
Jay
Old 06-04-2018, 12:48 AM

Thank you for the feedback. MidwayUSA has Bob Sled for CZ 527. In stock the block for chambering in .223/.204/.17 Rem. They just sold out of the block for .22 Hornet/.221 Fireball/.222 Rem.

I'll give Calhoun a call...I owe him some business for all of the time he gave answering some of my questions on a call some time back. He is a prince.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 06-04-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:59 AM

The occasional problem is the variation in springiness of the extractor as it comes from the factory. I have a few of the Calhoon folloewers and one was pretty rough feeding when I put it in. Anyway, Calhoon can tune them if needed. Once mine was tuned it feeds smoothly and I have never had any further problem with it. If you need one tuned, Calhoon can probably do it with just the bolt, but of course you have to confirm that with him. He told me it took him a while to get proficient at tuning them and recommended I don’t do it myself.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:14 AM
Supporting Member

I was told by a CZ gunsmith there once that although it seldom happens they have seen a rimmed cartridges laid flat on top of a regular magazine and pushed forward with the bolt forcing the extractor to jump the rim actually break the extractor. He suggested it not be done or as an alternative do some work on the extractor with a file and emery cloth to smooth the extractor down to make it slide over the rim easier.
Done it many times without modification and never a problem but that's what he said.
Calhoon's follower takes that all into account by it's design, not sure about the one you are talking of.

With Calhoon's follower there is a sort of V shape in the top of the follower. The steeper drop is to the rear or in the picture toward the flat part. Ya drop a cartridge in the trough and as the bolt pushes the case forward the rim drops down into that V shape trough. Then as bolt pushes the case forward the case tilts upward with the rim dropping down lower then the extractor and as it goes far enough forward it straightens out into the chamber lifting the rim up into the bolt face underneath the extractor just like picking it up out of a magazine. Slick as can be.
If the one you are looking at has that same kinda shape it should work just like Calhoon's or a CZ magazine.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:19 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ae35gunner

Don't know anything about "BobSled" adapter...BUT I, like MONTDOUG, can endorse James Calhoon's as a functional work of art!! Charlie
Old 06-04-2018, 02:10 PM

Default Bob Sled loading block for CZ527

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae35gunner View Post
Don't know anything about "BobSled" adapter...BUT I, like MONTDOUG, can endorse James Calhoon's as a functional work of art!! Charlie
The Bobsled adapter may well work, but I would add that Calhoon's design has been on the market for years and James more than likely has 98% of the bugs worked out with his model/s. Just a thought to consider. Bill K