Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-26-2018, 07:36 PM
Banned

Default Remington

What it all boils down to is the News pricks picked on a 90 year old man!!! If I was Mike Walker I'd told them to go to hell!!! And if mike was in his prime he would have done just that!!!
Old 07-26-2018, 08:05 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
This has been hashed around for a few years now, and no one seems to remember the case that brought this all about, was a lady killing her son, when she was the one at fault for bringing a loaded rifle into a area, she should not have, then pointing it at her son, while holding the trigger and moving the bolt and the rifle fired. But some lawyers got ahold of this and away it went, all the fault of Rem and the 700 model trigger.
Millions of them are and were sold and very few others have had any issues, except when pilot error takes over.
I know I and others, that I shoot with, have more than one 700 Rem and have never had any issues with the trigger, as some claim.
99-100 times it is the pilot not the object being at fault. Bill K
One version of what actually happened in this instance is that the lady was unloading a rifle when she got back to a hunting camp in Montana. She pointed the rifle at a vacant horse trailer and the rifle discharged while she was attempting to unload it. Her 9 year old son was on the other side of the horse trailer and was struck by the bullet that passed through the horse trailer. This is one version of the story. Another version says that the bullet ricocheted from hitting something else and passed through the horse trailer. Quien sabe? which version is totally correct. At any rate, the rifle was not being unloaded safely by having it pointed in a totally safe direction whether the bullet ricocheted or not. The rest of the story about how and why it all happened has been in dispute for years.

This highly disputed incident is one well-known element in the beginning of the re-occurring trigger saga that has been ongoing for years. One of the attributes of the defect is that it can not be readily duplicated. Hence, its a lawyer's best friend and the issue gets re-cycled for money and politics. Like Chuck stated, its not surprising to see it resurface at this point in time.

The OP's links point to issues that have already been resolved. Remington filed for bankruptcy in February of this year and the court has since approved a settlement plan for the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy to proceed and finalize. The bankruptcy was not all attributed to the trigger issue, but they make good bedfellows.

In the end, more lawyers once again get rich on a fairly predictable re-occurring time table over the issue. Just like has happened for years.

BTW - From reading the posts here, I have a question. What is a J-lock trigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
I agree that is old news being hashed out again (probably by the anti-gun media). As I remember it, Remington was sold by CDR (investment bankers) back in '94 or so, and then CDR sold it to Cerberus a few years later. A few years later, 60 minutes revelation about the triggers which resulted in the new j-lock triggers. Also agree that unskilled/untrained person can make them unsafe.
-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 07-26-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:57 PM
Banned

Default Remington

Most woman handle a rifle like they handle an automobile to dam fast an all over the road!!!!
Old 07-26-2018, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

ditto B23, shade tree gunsmiths.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:34 PM

Default Jumping jee hosephat

Okay okay alright already guys. I did not intend to shoot Remington, I also have a M700 SPS in 17 FB, mine has not had this problem either.

I wanted to inform you all that despite this being "old" news many of the 8+ million of those Remingtons out there in gun safes and bumpping around in pickups gun racks were never "fixed" by anyone.

I do not hate old Mr. Walker, he warned Remington about this problem back in 1947.

Last edited by 17tbs; 07-26-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:40 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
Okay okay alright already guys. I did not intend to shoot Remington, I also have a M700 SPS in 17 FB, mine has not had this problem either.

I wanted to inform you all that despite this being "old" news many of the 8+ million of those Remingtons out there in gun safes and bumpping around in pickups gun racks were never "fixed" by anyone.

I do not hate old Mr. Walker, he warned Remington about this problem back in 1947.

Some were undoubtably "fixed" by home "gunsmiths" and some were factory repaired through voluntary recalls, etc., or they were replaced with aftermarket triggers. And I doubt that few here were caught unaware.

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:51 PM

BCB, the J-Lock is the replacement by Remington for the traditional Remington trigger since maybe 2010 or so. It entails a tool to lock and unlock the bolt. Here is a link form Brownell's to show pictures and details:

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=14405
Old 07-26-2018, 11:03 PM

For the show segment I think was 20/20 they had to have a gunsmith alter the trigger to make it malfunction "for the sake of the story".... BS,.. This probably should come up every now and then just to remind us all of how easily they craft a spin and get away with it, Because no one remembers a few years later they get away, It was just a little white LIE
Old 07-26-2018, 11:35 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
BCB, the J-Lock is the replacement by Remington for the traditional Remington trigger since maybe 2010 or so. It entails a tool to lock and unlock the bolt. Here is a link form Brownell's to show pictures and details:

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=14405
Your link shows the Remington Integrated Security System (J-Lock) which involved a bolt shroud lock that Remington employed from around 2000-2005 on the Model 700 rifle. As mentioned in your link, "....when not engaged, ISS is a near passive mechanism. Engaged, it is a locking device that prevents an open bolt from rotating to the closed and locked position. The ISS feature is one of many schemes developed by manufacturers to keep untrained, curious individuals from gaining unauthorized use of a functioning firearm."

"The ISS system is actuated by opening the bolt, putting the little green handled "J" shaped key into the bolt shroud lock and rotating it clockwise so that a white dot on the lock barrel is facing butt end of the gun. This causes the little detent ball embedded in the face of the shroud to project and prevent the bolt from closing and locking. To render the bolt operable again, the J lock is rotated anti clockwise..."

It actually had nothing to do with the Walker trigger or any other Remington trigger. It was also found on the 870 Remington shotgun and maybe others.

It came about as a poorly thought out and executed attempt to disable a firearm from use by others unless they had a "key". In reality, the J-Lock was a solution looking for a problem, but it did seem to satisfy the need in some states to ship all firearms with a keyed manual locking mechanism to prevent unauthorized use of the firearm. In roughly the same time frame when "home firearm safety" was a big catch phrase that resulted in various attempt to make firearms unusable without a manual key, S&W started drilling a hole in the frame just above the cylinder release on their revolvers. When locked by an insertable key, the firing pin could not reach a cartridge to fire the weapon. Same same idea.

The J-Lock were cursed by 99.9% of users for both logistic and equipment issues, and maybe tolerated by the other 0.1% of users (my guess....). For the Rem 700 they resulted in a thriving industry for marketing a replacement bolt shroud/firing pin and spring mechanism so that they could be junked in the time frame that they came on all Rem 700 rifles.

-BCB

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 07-27-2018 at 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling, material added..................
Old 07-27-2018, 12:14 AM
Banned

Default Remington

They went after a frail old man . Watch the videos! It's sad! I felt bad for Mr Walker. He did so much for the shooting sport

Tags
bankruptcy, dangerous trigger, remington, remington m700