Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-30-2018, 07:38 PM

Default loaded unsafe

I spent some time in the military and learned that as a rule, ALL guns are to be considered loaded at all times until they are proven otherwise with a barrel/chamber block or some other safety device. Still never point a gun barrel in any direction that is unsafe. I can not tell you how many push-ups and other calisthenics were done do drill this into soldiers heads PERMANENTLY if they were ever so careless as to "flag" someone with a weapon.

That people will walk in front of a weapon that they know to be loaded, or grab it by the muzzle while doing anything at all is a good example of Darwin Awards waiting to happen. I do not really trust safeties, I do trust a weapon that has a chamber block device in it. Those out there with a bubba attitude towards a device that is designed to kill are bound to run into trouble. This includes checking the barrel prior to chambering around, MAKE damn certain that you did not forget to do that before you pull the trigger or you will eventually regret it.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:41 PM

Default Recall on Remington Model 700

There is a very good reason that most high caliber and many gun club ranges require the bolt being out of the action prior to walking up to the firing line, and removed prior to leaving.
Semi-autos, a barrel/action bloc or locked open. Bill K
Old 08-28-2018, 10:16 PM

Default My Personal Testimony on the Trigger Problem

I love the Remington 600 actions, so much so that I have bought and used four of the Model 600s and three of their little brothers with the same action, the XP 100. So, I got seven in total.

They are great guns, but I do believe there is a problem with the trigger design that occasionally creates a safety hazard. To Wit:

One day I carried home one of my brand-new 600s that I had just bought from a store 100 miles away. In the process of looking over my new acquisition in my living room, I worked the action several times and pulled back the safety knob to put it in the "safe" position to test it. The safety seemed to work and kept the trigger from activating the firing pin. But, when I pushed the safety back to the "fire" position with my finger fully away from the trigger, the darn thing "snapped" just as if I had pulled the trigger. WOW. Then I tried it again with the same effect. I was shocked and made a note to bring it back to the store without further use.

Well, before I got back to the store I got a notice from Remington that the 600s were being recalled for trigger problems of some sort. I sent all my 600s and XP100s back to Remington, and they returned them to me, presumably fixed. They never gave me any other trouble. That 1978-79 recall is mentioned in some of the literature referred to in the original post.

Now I learn 600 and XP100 models have the same trigger designs as the 700 and other Remington models. So why did Remington not recall them all back in 1978-79? I wonder. It doesn't make any sense.

Now I'm wondering if my guns that were "fixed" under the 1978-79 recall need yet another fix or another trigger or whatever with this current potential recall. I read something in the OP's literature about getting something done to the previously recalled 600 and XP100 models, but I'm not sure what. I guess I've have to go through it again in some way or another. Not looking forward to that.

But to the naysayers in this thread, I say this: From my own personal experience as noted herein, I'm convinced Remington put their customers at an unnecessary risk, and they did it knowing their own test engineer and trigger designer warned them about in the late 1940s when the fix would have been cheap and have avoided a lot of misery to those who fell victim of their inaction. I know Remington claimed "no problems" with their product. So did the cigarette makers before it all came tumbling down.

To the OP: THANKS for bringing this up again. It is an unsettled topic, and therefore it is not old news. Over 99% of the guns are still out there with a defect that is still hurting people. We need to get those triggers fixed. The question is, will Remington stand up to their duty and obligations, finally?
Old 08-28-2018, 10:24 PM

Default Recall on Remington Model 700

As you said this has been hashed and re-hashed for more than a few years now. If anyone has a Remington, they are not comfortable with, the best thing to do is contact Remington directly and see if they will take care of the matter, trigger or whatever, on the gun/s they have. Others can do the same, if they desire. Or you do as I and a couple of my shooting friends have done and install a aftermarket trigger from one of the numerous one's around.
Bill K
Old 08-28-2018, 11:22 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
I love the Remington 600 actions, so much so that I have bought and used four of the Model 600s and three of their little brothers with the same action, the XP 100. So, I got seven in total.

They are great guns, but I do believe there is a problem with the trigger design that occasionally creates a safety hazard. To Wit:

One day I carried home one of my brand-new 600s that I had just bought from a store 100 miles away. In the process of looking over my new acquisition in my living room, I worked the action several times and pulled back the safety knob to put it in the "safe" position to test it. The safety seemed to work and kept the trigger from activating the firing pin. But, when I pushed the safety back to the "fire" position with my finger fully away from the trigger, the darn thing "snapped" just as if I had pulled the trigger. WOW. Then I tried it again with the same effect. I was shocked and made a note to bring it back to the store without further use.

Well, before I got back to the store I got a notice from Remington that the 600s were being recalled for trigger problems of some sort. I sent all my 600s and XP100s back to Remington, and they returned them to me, presumably fixed. They never gave me any other trouble. That 1978-79 recall is mentioned in some of the literature referred to in the original post.

Now I learn 600 and XP100 models have the same trigger designs as the 700 and other Remington models. So why did Remington not recall them all back in 1978-79? I wonder. It doesn't make any sense.

Now I'm wondering if my guns that were "fixed" under the 1978-79 recall need yet another fix or another trigger or whatever with this current potential recall. I read something in the OP's literature about getting something done to the previously recalled 600 and XP100 models, but I'm not sure what. I guess I've have to go through it again in some way or another. Not looking forward to that.

But to the naysayers in this thread, I say this: From my own personal experience as noted herein, I'm convinced Remington put their customers at an unnecessary risk, and they did it knowing their own test engineer and trigger designer warned them about in the late 1940s when the fix would have been cheap and have avoided a lot of misery to those who fell victim of their inaction. I know Remington claimed "no problems" with their product. So did the cigarette makers before it all came tumbling down.

To the OP: THANKS for bringing this up again. It is an unsettled topic, and therefore it is not old news. Over 99% of the guns are still out there with a defect that is still hurting people. We need to get those triggers fixed. The question is, will Remington stand up to their duty and obligations, finally?
https://www.remington.com/support/sa...-model-600-660

Third listed recall is for the bolt lock issue at the link below:

600 trigger recall is 4 recalls down at this link. One original source is the AFTE Journal, January 1979; Volume 11, Number 1:19

XP100 recall is second on the list - 1978.

http://firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%204.htm

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 08-29-2018 at 12:27 AM. Reason: material added............
Old 09-08-2018, 07:39 PM

If anyone reading this thread has an old xp100 with a bad trigger and wants to sell it as is to get rid of it I'm interested. Shoot me a PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:48 AM

if anyone has a model 700 SPS tactical in .308 with heavy barrel and threaded muzzle they are to scared to use let me know..

kind of makes me laugh at those who claim the mosin nagant has a "bad" safety mechanism

Tags
bankruptcy, dangerous trigger, remington, remington m700