Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-03-2018, 04:59 PM

Default The other age thread

Wasn't going to clutter the other one up.

Interesting of the age spread. The small calibers have always interested me but I was a follower of the non believers, a large majority of them have never had hands on, so how can ya knock it?
I find that a lot of my rifles and pistols are not as much fun as they used to be. Dug out a soft shooting 45-70, yeah right. As if that wasn't enough a 350Remington rattled my cage later on.

I still have friends that say "recoil doesn't bother me". It does they just don't know it. I don't shoot near as much as I used to, but it seems I have to work a lot less to get groups that make me smile.

Anyone else have neglected rigs that get shot very little because the are boringly accurate? I have a couple. The old comment,money accurate rifles are interesting. I don't know how to take that.
No muss no fuss. I still find myself taking on projects of orphaned rigs that don't or won't shoot. I got ate up with casting for everything. Proved a lot of folks wrong and made few some what upset at times. I suppose the cast bullet thing got me started on softer shooting rigs. Though I have pushed cast to jacketed velocities with good success just because I was told you couldn't.

Maybe I went to small calibers for the challenge?
I suspect it may well be easier today to gleen decent to excellent results because of forums like this. Where one can ask and recieve input and info in minutes to hours, rather than months to years to find others with like interest.

Seeing all you young men from 70's and up still playing gives me a goal to really shoot for.
Jeff
Old 12-03-2018, 05:36 PM

Not that age has anything to do with it but we seem to have a bunch of quality individuals here at Saubier. I just completed a swap with a member here that involved a measure of trust on both parties' part.

Someone asked if we were just going to ship the rifles to each other and asked if that wasn't a bit risky. I replied that the other party to the trade had been a member here for a number of years and that I wasn't really concerned.

The fact is that I have had only one deal here on Saubier go sideways in a LOT of years. And that was with a member that had many dealings others here with no bad press so I am assuming that he and I just got off to a bad start and that the fault may have been as much mine as his. What I received was NOT as advertised but not a huge deal so we just agreed to disagree and left it at that.
He is no longer with us and was a respected member here so I will not name names.

The point is that Saubier is made up of a good group of quality folks who have earned my respect over many years. The administrators do a fine job here and make this the first place on the net that I visit each day.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 12-03-2018, 07:01 PM

I agree that this is indeed one of the very few "quality" sites on the net.

I also have done a few sales and trades here with fellow members, and every one required a degree of trust of the other member. All transactions have gone off without a hitch, a testament to the members of this site.

Maybe old guys are more trustworthy? As it appears the majority of members here are a tad long in the tooth. Dunno, but it's a good place to hang if your a small caliber aficionado.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:45 PM

don't think it is our age we were just taught better, still hear my dad words in my head. Honesty and Honor
Old 12-03-2018, 10:26 PM

Honesty and Honor,my dad said the same thing.
It is a sad day when a handshake and your word means little.
I bought a lathe year before last. Just went to look at it and ended up buying it. Had a check book but he wanted cold hard cash, no problem but had to wait till I got to the bank. Then the weather turned to crap,ice. So we held off another week.
He said no problem, we shook on it.
As a rule most gun guys are honest. I should say hard core gun loonies.
I can pick a wind bag out pretty easy. All his guns shoot 1/2 MOA or better day in and day out and have less than 100 rounds through them. We all know the type all show and no go.

Yes I think this is a good place. I got a little ticked at a few here, but didn't let it bother me. When we type things, some times it comes across different than what was meant.
Heck one of my best friends and I met up on yahoo chat 20 years ago. Talk to each other on a weekly basis. Sure we got mad at one another off and on, but didn't stay mad. Took us exactly 17 years before we finally shook hands, heck I won't lie it was hugs too. Spent a week with him and then he came up the next year. It was like we had known each other since we were kids.
I hear a lot of the forums are suffering because of feces book. I refuse to get involved in the drama of that place.