Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Moore

The way I treat mine is first I clean in acetone to get any oil or leftover lube off the bullets then wipe off with an old towel. I then put 100 bullets in 2 different 16oz. jars with BB's filled up about 1/2 inch to which I add a amount of HBN about the size of 2 peas.
I then seal the lids with electrical tape to make sure the lids don't come off and throw both of the jars in my tumbler and let it run for about 1-1/2 - 2 hrs. I them remove the bullets and slide them back and forth in an old heavy cotton sock which removes any excess and gives them a nice polish.
After I am done cleaning the barrel I run a patch with a solution of HBN and denatured alcohol down the barrel and am done.
I shot a local match yesterday and on the first target from a cold barrel with zero shots fired since cleaning I went to the sighter target shot 3 X's then went and shot 5X's on the record targets and all 5 were wipeouts.
I have never had a gun where there wasn't some point of aim change from a clean barrel to one that was warmed up until using the HBN.
As far as Lockeze it is no where near the same, Lockeze is collidal graphite and is used to treat the bore only not to coat the bullets with. If you look at the cost it probably isn't that far off, a pound of HBN runs around $50.00 and will do roughly 20'000 30cal. bullets so imagine how many 17 or 20s you could do with the same amount.
The other thing to consider is the amount of friction is reduced which helps to keep the barrel much cooler which means less heat equals longer barrel life.
A friend of mine used to coat his bullets with Danzak and was happy with it other than the fact it is very dirty to work with and makes a mess of every thing. He has since gone to the HBN and is much happier.
The HBN is white and gones on clear with no mess when applying.
I guess you can tell I like it alot.
Dave
Old 07-01-2013, 03:29 AM
Supporting Member

Good info. I fiddled with moly a number of years ago but never found myself fully committed. It worked ok, but it seemed the pros did not off set the cons and in comparison to naked bullets, to me it felt like it was a wash. One gentlemen that I shoot with on occasion has been using it over the last several months. Considering how well his stuff shoots, even when I am behind the trigger, it's hard not to take notice. It is nice to see uniformity and positive reports for those who have replied. Not meaning to bash moly, but love-hate appeared to be the norm.

I am beginning to have bad feeling about this, at least my wife will not be able complain about me leaving black smudges on everything I touch.
Looking forward to seeing what else others have say as they chime in.

Many thanks, Michael.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:33 PM

a few questions for the guys that use hbn
do you treat poly tipped bullets?
if so on poly does acetone degrade the poly tip?
don't know much about alcohol is rubbing and denatured the same? where to buy?
thanks
kerry
Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 PM

Kerry , I don't use HBN but here's some Info. on Alcohol . Ethanol is Drinking Alcohol . Denatured Alcohol is Ethanol with Additives to make it Poisonous to drink , and foul smelling and tasting . Rubbing Alcohol is Isoproply Alcohol available in any big supermarket or Wally World and is typically available in two strengths .... 70% and 91% ( which will evaporate quicker ) . I use Isopropyl to fine clean Scope Glass . Acetone was available at Wally World last I knew and is a great Degreaser , but I don't like to use it except on a Qtip and would only use it in open air ( not good stuff to breathe ) and use Safety Goggles and solvent resistant gloves . I once saw a guy get some in his eye , and he was not happy until I quickly got a bucket of water to flush out his eye . Whether Acetone would affect the Polymer Bullet Tips ....I don't know .