Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 AM
Supporting Member

Default Vortex Spotting Scopes- Razor vs Viper

Last weekend after a BPCR match with targets out to 1125yds my wife was looking through a Vortex Razor HD 20-60 x 85mm scope being used by one of the other shooters. Needless to say she liked it, a lot, (so did I) and she made it a point to let me know that she feels it will be money well spent to get one, aging eyes being one of her reasons. I did not say anything at the time, knowing Vortex optics do not come cheap, figured it would be more fun to let her discover the cost on her own after letting her dig herself into a hole, a very deep hole, with only one way out......

Several years ago while passing through Sidney, NE we compared our trusty 80's vintage Bushnell trophy to some of higher quality scopes from Nikon, Leupold, etc. This was done on a warm summer day glassing out across Cabella's parking lot to the east. We could not see enough difference to justify replacing it. The Razor last weekend was a different story.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with either the Razor and/or the Viper? The Viper can be had for around $900, with the Razor at $1600, there lies one part of my query, all things being equal, is the Razor that much ($700)better than the Viper. I have read the specs on both from Vortex, but I have not yet been able to compare them side by side.

Appreciate the input.

Michael.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Supporting Member

Michael, before I bought my Pentax 80mm spotting scope I did a bit of research, namely because I couldn't check them all out personally.

This website gave me a lot to think about and helped me narrow down the scope I finally bought.
http://www.betterviewdesired.com/

Kiwi
Old 06-10-2014, 01:15 PM

Michael -some of the older Bushnel spotting scopes are marvelous indeed. My old 25X from the late 60's is one such spotting scope. Small holes in the paper at long range are NO problem.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:09 PM

Here is another site to look for reviews on spotting scopes. They do binoculars too.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/page.aspx?pid=1039