Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2014, 06:55 PM

I like to anneal, then size (after brushing inside the neck), then tumble, then load. That way you end up with nice clean, loaded ammo with even neck tension in the box. I tumble 'old-school' using walnut w/ Rooster Bright in a rotary tumbler. Very gentle on the brass.

Last edited by ramos; 10-09-2014 at 06:57 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-09-2014, 07:07 PM

I do the same as ramos, but I (don't know why) push a K&M expand iron in each case before loading.
Ken.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Supporting Member

Michael on fireforming cases I size em down first and then anneal before firing them to the new chamber.
On fired cases that are getting work hardened I would clean em, trim em to length and chamfer then size em before the annealing process. You already know why, ya get inconsistent neck tension if ya don't IMO. Neck tension suffers in my experience both if the brass is to hard and brittle or if they are to soft when final sizing happens.
There might well be a lotta different ways around the barn but that's always been the way I did it.
George I've always annealed by standing the brass in luke warm water about 1/2 way up the case then heating the neck to color and just tipping them over in the water, I don't heat to glowing either George. Always worked fine for me at least.
While we're on the topic of annealing I have only one more thing to add, "I HATE IT !!!" Of all the reloading procedures we do I gotta say that annealing is at the very most absolutely rock bottom of the list!! Any gray areas??
Old 10-09-2014, 07:47 PM

Default Hmmm,

I don't really mind the annealing process. Sitting by myself in a dark room, the romantic glow of the torch, a little music in the background....
Old 10-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Supporting Member

Ramos all that's missing from that lovely scenario is a sore back, a sore neck and the sound of fingernails screeching on a chalk board !!!
Old 10-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Hey Doug:
Good to hear from you.
As I said above: "IF it works for you the way you do it, keep at it".

These U/M cases are the very first annealing I've done to brass. I know a whole bunch of cases over the yrs that have needed it bad, but, never messed with it as they just keep right on shootin w/o a problem so why mess with it? Yeah, I'm about as lazy as I can get by with. IF there's still space to kick things out of the way, why pick it up?

You n Jim sharing good times together up there?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 10-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Supporting Member

George I swear if I put that mans boots on they'd work me to death !! He's of course younger than I am with kids at home and a new job so he don't slow up much but we keep in touch regular and my bride was thrilled yesterday that MRS Jim stopped by her place of employment and my MRS got to see not only her again but meet her Mom and Jim's Mom to boot I believe she told me. My memory stinks but I know the bride was sure tickled .
Old 10-10-2014, 02:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Sounds like it's all good then.
Sure am glad I'm past those days, aren't you?
I like this kicked back pace a whole lot better.
Feel like napping I just go in there an lay down, get up when I'm ready, or just lay there longer if that's the mood too. Grass needs mowing I just let grow until Rhonda comes around wanting more money then let her earn it a bit.

You have that snow blade ready? Won't be long. Raining here now and next couple days. Hey, it's hunting season, need about four feet of it to move 'em down.

Wish you well.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"