Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-20-2014, 03:47 AM

I have got the Martini's pretty hot in the summer, but not so hot I couldn't touch the barrel...but when you only have summer 2 or 3 days year, it's no big deal.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Supporting Member

My Savage was a Varmint CM and Marlin was a varmint Stainless, the CZ is standard weight CM. 90 degree day and bright sun I have had all of them so hot you can't touch the barrel and had to set them in the shade and shoot something else. I have however also had 22RF hot enough they needed to be put aside as the barrels were uncomfortable to touch.

From shooting so much on hot, bright days, the biggest difference we found isn't related to Varmint versus sporter weight barrels. What we have observed is the stainless seem to shed heat faster and not absorb heat from the sun. The Chrome moly can get almost too hot to touch just sitting in the direct sunlight, so we have set up shade using umbrellas or the pickup to try to keep the CM guns cooler. We also use more of the Stainless guns on those types of days.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the information Dean.

I have experienced how warm centerfires can get, and just hadn't done, or recalled, if my 17hmr ever got warm enough to switch guns like I do on the centerfire guns. I think a box and a half is the longest set I have done with mine, they sure kill-em good, but I haven't experienced very many launches from the 17hmr like the 17hh and bigger guns, and launching Skippy is hard to beat, lol

Thanks

Allen
Old 12-20-2014, 09:47 PM

I got into a bunch of ground squirrels last summer in Nevada. I sat in one place and shot 700 rounds in 3 and a half hours. Most of it was HMR and hornet. a little 22lr on the really close stuff. Neither 17 barrel heated up enough to give it a rest. I was pleasantly surprised as I expected the hornet to heat up some. As you can imagine, I was constantly swapping guns or reloading. It was a great day. I think that the sun has more to do with a hot barrel than does a lot of rounds.
Burt