Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-18-2014, 02:28 PM

When I got my first real job down on NW39th street, I got introduced to u-control airplanes and a couple of local gunshops. Mashburns and Southwest. We would run downtown to Mashburns and Southwest after work. I remember vaguely that Mashburns was downtown on a corner, and that Southwest was in little storefront, walked in and on the left were the new SKB double shotguns. Bought rifles at Mashburns and reloading stuff at Southwest. I cannot remember much of the layout of the city from back then, but was in the 71-75 timeframe. Been out of state for a long time now.

One time in Mashburns, I was buying a new rifle. Was between a preowned Sako varmint in 243 and the then new Remington 25-06. The kid in me had to have the new deal, so I was taken into the back storage area, and shown a stack of boxes of about 20+ brand new Remington 25-06 rifles. I was told to go thru them and pick my wood that I wanted.............I suspect that might be not too prevalent nowadays huh?

Fond memories of both spots, I too, was much younger then.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:57 PM

Thumbs up Good memories, Rick........

My old thoughts of the "old" Southwest were from about 1966.

About two decades later, a couple of friends took me on a "road trip" to Gene Sears.......with a stop-over in Chickasha for a bar-b-que lunch. Actually we made a "few" road trips over the years. I loved that place, too!!

Good times..................sadly they're getting fewer.

Kevin
Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 PM

Default And Kevin had to…

go and mention BBQ and Chickasha in the same post..I could really use a road trip to Jake's Rib where eating a full order of fries is a test of your manhood….
Old 12-20-2014, 06:45 PM

Thumbs up You guys keep......

......bringing back old memories of my days as a kid in OKC.

The Tower Theatre on 23rd, Veasey's(sp?) Drug stores, Oklahoma Tire & Supply, Lincoln Grade School & Central Jr. High and "eats"...Beverly's Chicken-In-The-Rough, Delorise's Resturant, El Charrito's(on Paseo, across from the swimming pool), Hermanns Seafood, The Rib(on 10th), Glen's Hickory Inn........

Days long ago......and, arguably, much simpler/better.

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Gullette; 12-20-2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: fix
Old 12-21-2014, 02:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

back about 73 a bunch of us hauled loads of pipe to the oil fields around Watonga Ok. Hell of a party house great food, drinks easy waitresss liked to go for "ride's in the sleeper" etc.
A few yrs ago I swung by there to check the place out. What a heart breaker. Place was mostly caved in couple trees growing up thru the roof.

Don't know about guns there, another favorite place was on the hwy between Clayton n Texline called: Cliff's at Grenville NM. Place is in about the same shape. Cliff must have drank too much product. Wonder what happened to his wonderful wife Ramona.

Memories!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-24-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulepasture View Post
Try H&H at I-40 and Meridian and maybe Bass Pro for "mainstream" stuff. Gene Sears just west in El Reno. Jerry's in Tulsa. Several smaller places tucked around. Not sure about reloading supplies but some gun related day trips of interest are near by in Stillwater, Chandler (66 Pawn and Pro Shop), Claremore (Bill's), Pauls Valley (Discount), Duncan (Murph's) and Shawnee (Dark Ops). Maybe Mr Reed or DAVID will chime in as well.
Thanks. Sorry I didn't get back sooner...bunch of family has been in for the wedding...after 3 1/2 years of being a widower, I married a widow, It was much less complicated to get married at 18 than at 67.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:43 PM

Congratulations!