Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-08-2015, 05:09 PM

If it were here in the USA, the liberals would make sure that any Gov plan to control such creatures included the strategic placement of jars containing free, tiny, lead free condoms in assorted colors. There would also be money available to train such creatures to apply them without poking holes in them with their tiny nails or claws. Finally there would be another program available to dispose of used condoms in an environmental friendly manner. By the time the USA Gov was done designing the program to control gray squirrels, 100,000 people would have new employment (and free healthcare), and no school kids would have been injured by squirrel hunters making wild shots from the woods. Burt -
PS, I am an optimist.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 PM

Default No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
...sounds like you need more falcons and hawks.
Alan,
The squirrels here are usually on trees or on the woodland floor.
Not really where raptors would hunt.
Ken.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:08 PM

When I'm sitting in a tree waiting for deer, the ground might have pheasant, pigeon, rabbit, squirrel and the odd hare all mooching about eating or playing.
Shoot a deer and everything disappears, the wood fall silent and nothing stirs. After about 5 minutes the noises start up and all the animals creep back out of the woods and resume their activities.
All well and good, however, if I'm sitting there to shoot squirrels, after one shot everything disappears and it takes ages before they come back out. It's like they know.
Another way is to walk the woods with a small cal shotgun.
Neither method could be called volume shooting. Not where I go, anyway.But still fun.
Ken.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:43 PM

I smell a "squirrel safari" business opportunity. I'd pay to come over and shoot them if I could bring my HM2 and a couple thousand rounds of ammo.
yeah, right. I know that'd never happen.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
I smell a "squirrel safari" business opportunity. I'd pay to come over and shoot them if I could bring my HM2 and a couple thousand rounds of ammo.
yeah, right. I know that'd never happen.
They would think you where trying to invade the country, probably lock you in the Tower of London, never to be heard of again.

Tom
Old 01-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Supporting Member

Grey Squirrels, we got a plenty here in Northern Virginia. So many in fact they are a real problem for me and my vehicles. They get up under the hoods and make nests and nut stashes in areas, I can’t imagine how they even get in there. Like the air conditioning and heating vents. Had to replace the windshield on my minivan and when the tech removed the glass the whole interior between the glass and the dash was filled with nesting material, nuts (whole and eaten). It was so dry that an electrical spark could have easily started a fire. They have cost me several thousand dollars a year in repair bills. It takes the local dealership mechanics many hours to find a chewed thru wires, and only a second to repair. But by that time the time it takes to find that elusive broken wire has cost hundreds of dollars. This type of trouble plus other types of damages they do to our homes and property.
Last year I took it upon myself to try and rid the area of the problem. I shot every one of those buggers I could get in my sights. Week by week I could see that there numbers were diminishing and finally one day there were no more to be seen. For about a month or maybe two NO SQUIRRELS!
Slowly though since then they are creeping back in. So far the new inhabitants have not been nearly as invasive as the previous bunch, but that may (and probably will) change as their numbers grow. Thank God I purchased a lot of Mach II ammo while it was available.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:55 PM

Default cull

I think they need to be more worried about a Islam cull.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:40 AM

My problem is pack rats. They chew everything, including wires to the computer in my truck. My yellow Lab is obsessed with them, and tries to dig them out of every nest she finds. I shoot them when they come out in the open. The truck computer costs $2300. though insurance covered all but $500.Still, it was a mess. I've considered burning them out or using explosives. The nests are everywhere. I understand some people consider them edible, but they're rats (then, so are squirrels). Poison doesn't seem to work, only cheese in a large trap. They outnumber the local squirrels.

Richard