Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-09-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
Yes, I remember the Forest model. I had a T3x stainless and I had problems with rust. Are the blued Tikka rifle better concerning rust resistance?
I think they’re okay at best.

My carry rifle I mentioned above is stainless. However I have a blued 223 Varmint as well. I personally haven’t had a problem with rust on mine but while working in the gun business I saw quite a few that had issues with rust.

I think as long as a guy is fairly proactive with some protectant you won’t have an issue. I’m not the most careful person in the world when it comes to that kind of thing and my Varmint 223 hasn’t rusted up on me.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:58 AM

Default Have to go with AI sakos

The problem would be which one. My 17 rem probably has gotten the nod most often, but I've had it since '88. It wears my favorite scope, a 4.5x14x40 leupold. It is a laser. I've got a lghtwt .223 that is like a feather with a 2x7 leupold, it is a peach. I found a 6ppc repeater that I think would be an ideal whitetail/coyote rifle. Its wearing a 6.5x20 leupold until I can get a pet load developed, then it's getting a 6x42, maybe a 1.75x6. I just got another AI in 223 with the 23.5" medium? Wt bbl. A virtual twin to my .17. It has a 6x42 on it, but I havent played with it yet. These will be the last rifles in the safe when I go to the happy hunting ground.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:21 PM

Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
One of the little Rem model 7's wouldn't be a bad choice either.
+1 for the REM. M7.
Ken.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
+1 for the REM. M7.
Ken.
Hey Ken,

I think the Remington Model 7 and/or 600/660 rifles may be what I try next.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
In your opinion what is the ideal carry/walk around varmint rifle? I am trying to find something which is easy to carry and capable of 250 yard shots on groundhogs. I have tried many, but I have not found my perfect combination.
Martini Cadet in 219 Donaldson Wasp or as in these pictures .22 K-hornet. Light weight good accurate shooting platform-the martini action especially for a walkabout carry gun.

The lady is my late wife. One thing, you didn't hand her for hunting is a heavy rifle. Another thing you never did was tell her that 250 yards was to far to shoot with her K-hornet.

This chuck was shot on top of the rim behind her, while I was building the rifle for her. Distance for the shot was about 200 yards. I had to climb up and bring it down for her for the "foto-op" . Once we got it and saw how big it was she decided it need to be mounted. Our Daughter still has the mount-but I'll bet stuffed in a storage locker somewhere.

This chuck was shot off a rock pile on a Hutterite farm from over 250 yards. That rockpile was famous for chucks and everyone who went out, pot shotted the chucks there. The chucks became very weary. It was tough to get close. She spotted the chuck before I did. She saw it move. I had to find it with the binoculars. I always called the wind and hold for her-she listened. When she shot I called a miss, she said "no, hit."

She was right, again.

Thanks for letting me reminisce while sharing my 'opinion" of good walk around chuck gun.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Martini Cadet in 219 Donaldson Wasp or as in these pictures .22 K-hornet. Light weight good accurate shooting platform-the martini action especially for a walkabout carry gun.

The lady is my late wife. One thing, you didn't hand her for hunting is a heavy rifle. Another thing you never did was tell her that 250 yards was to far to shoot with her K-hornet.

This chuck was shot on top of the rim behind her, while I was building the rifle for her. Distance for the shot was about 200 yards. I had to climb up and bring it down for her for the "foto-op" . Once we got it and saw how big it was she decided it need to be mounted. Our Daughter still has the mount-but I'll bet stuffed in a storage locker somewhere.

This chuck was shot off a rock pile on a Hutterite farm from over 250 yards. That rockpile was famous for chucks and everyone who went out, pot shotted the chucks there. The chucks became very weary. It was tough to get close. She spotted the chuck before I did. She saw it move. I had to find it with the binoculars. I always called the wind and hold for her-she listened. When she shot I called a miss, she said "no, hit."

She was right, again.

Thanks for letting me reminisce while sharing my 'opinion" of good walk around chuck gun.
Douglas,

That is a cool looking rifle and thank you for sharing you memories with all of us reading. I definitely like the Hornet and I would not be disappointed in one with the right set-up.

Were the rockchucks shot in Oklahoma?

Brian
Old 04-02-2020, 12:26 AM

Gday All,

New arrival. A Tikka M55 in 222. In wonderful condition and shoots well under an inch for 5 shots with various factory ammo.

She sits alongside my all time favourite vermin rifle, 1976 Brno model 2 from Mum and Dad on my 12th Birthday.

Cheers and stay safe and healthy

Jawry
Old 04-07-2020, 05:23 AM

I am getting ((( OLD ))) now. Turned 76 last OCT. And My walk about`s are getting shorter & my rifles are just getting heavier. But My old WIN 43 in 218 Bee and my CZ 527 22 Hornet get the node most of the time now. A 250+ yd shot at a Ground Hog is more than do able most of the time with both of them. And the low noise level and felt recoil produced by both of these little Rifles is a real advantage to me. I started out with 218 Bees & 22 Hornets when I was a very Young boy. Now I am a Stoved Up Old Man and I am back with them. I guess I have came full circle.
ken
Old 04-09-2020, 12:54 AM

cpt-t
WE are not old until we turn 95 That is about 2 decades away for both of us
Keep hunting/shooting and ENJOY!
Jim
Old 04-09-2020, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
I got lucky. The experienced XP guys tucked me under their wing for field use.
Ha--love it Jon!

Yuh huh though--he's right about it--my favorite walking varminter has got to be my XP-100 17 FB. Although, though it hasn't seen much use, my 20 BR XP might even one up it.

Pat Walker out of PA sure loves his custom XP's--in fact one of his favorites is his 14 Walker XP for sniping chucks. I have seen many a custom SP in my day, but I swear--that's gotta be the coolest of all time.

Last edited by sshcoyote; 04-09-2020 at 04:45 AM.