Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-23-2013, 11:31 PM
Supporting Member

Default Bent noses, help.

During a recent road trip I picked up several boxes 150gr .30cal Sierra SPs, and a number of them have bent noses. Reckon they were dropped, tossed, who knows what. I dug through my stash of top punches for cast bullets and seating stems thinking I could find one to use as a swag get them back to close to where they should be. But could not find a top punch or stem with the proper shape or dimensions. With the price and scarcity of good bullets these days, I do not want to see them go to waste or regulated to plinking status. Plus with RL15 they good for consistent MOAish groups from my light 700ADL. Does anyone know where one could pick a 30 cal point forming swag and die with a 7/8" 14 thread without breaking the bank.
Appreciate any help. Michael.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:40 PM

Michael
I would shoot a few and evaluate. Compare to your un-damaged 30-06 bullets shooting 3 shot groups. Michael I've had a few bullets like your damaged ones and shot them in a Model 70 same 1 1/2 groups with damaged and no damage tips both groups at 100yd.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 06-24-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:41 AM

Somebody did a test where they damaged the tips of bullets and then the bases. The results where that the bases are more critical to accuracy!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:32 AM
Supporting Member

The bent tips range from just little to pushed off the side by 30-40 degrees.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Just reread that article in a ??68 o 69 Rifleman mag. Showed some severly filed off and bent tips for testing of just such a thing as is worrying you.
They found nothing seemed to bother enough they cound determine with tip damage, even a flat filed at 45% nearly 1/4 the length of the bullet. These were also .30 cals, not sure now whether .308, or 06.
When they attacked the bases their shots scattered widely.

You might check to see if a .22 or such top punch might fit your die, they're pointed and if screwed down far enough to reach you might could even use the .22 cal die itself if it won't fit the 30 cal die.

Good luck and don't spend much time worrying about it and little funds on fixing it.

These old .17 Enfields I've been shooting for the past 55yrs flatten tips pretty bad in the magazine and never seemed to make any difference how they shot, or damage they did on muley's or elk either one.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Have you thought about using a pencil sharpener to shave off the bent bit.
Its soft lead so should be easy and the little lead removed should make no difference.
Wally