Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Supporting Member

Default Boron Nitride bullet coating

Has anyone used boron nitride for bullet coatings. Reportedly it works better and but without the problems associated with moly, such as build up, easier to clean, shots settle in much quicker after cleaning, etc.
Many thanks, Michael.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:26 PM

HBN - Yes, yep, yep, yep, yep.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Moore

absolutely!!!
I started this year shooting it in my 30BR and everything about it is positive. Used to be I had to shoot 3-4 fouling shots to get it to settle in, since I have started coating the bullets and barrel it shoots the same point of aim from the very first shot.
On a brand new barrel it has not shown the first sign of copper from the very first bullet and cleaning is much easier.
Don't hesitate to try it.
Dave
Old 06-30-2013, 06:19 AM

Can someone explain which type to buy and how it's applied?
Thanks IA,Ken.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:49 AM

Not only do I use it but am coating my latest batch of projectiles with it this weekend.

This is one place to purchase hBN:
http://www.lowerfriction.com/product...p?categoryID=2
I managed to buy a small amount of 70nm a couple years ago and am still using it but when I run out this is where I will be getting my next lot.

BTW it is great stuff and I have used it in my new 223 barrel and it cleans up very easy and as Dave said first shot is same point of aim. I apply it the same way as moly is applied. Place projectiles into a container and vibrat for a couple hours. Tip onto a old towel and give a quick slide up and down while hold each end and you are all done.
Pete
Old 06-30-2013, 03:36 PM

Michael, was looking at the same thing recently. I have always hated cleaning rifles but since I started messing with my Coopers in .17 AH and .218 MB I have started digging out all my rifles and started up with them again. I played with moly years ago for the smae reasons but never liked it. I like the idea of the HBN because it is clear moly.

Neal in AZ
Old 06-30-2013, 03:58 PM

Default Boron Nitride coating

Isn't "lock ease" similar, do the same and is much less costly ? I see and read where several use this method, as noted on various post's and comments. Bill K
Old 06-30-2013, 08:45 PM

I had always thought "lock eze" was colloidal graphite, but I never really knew for sure??? I've been interested in HBN too... I saw where Dasher had posted a test target for one of the guns he's selling that had Danzac written on the target. Is this the same stuff as HBN?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 PM

Danzac = WS2 = Tunsten Disulphide .....Moly = Molybdenum Disulphide ..........HBN = Hex ( Hexagonal ) Boron Nitride ....... all used to coat Bullets . Lock Eze is a Graphited ( Carbon ) Lock treatment suspended in a quick evaporating carrier ( I think Alcohol of some sort ) , and as mentioned is supposed to cut down on Copper Fouling and allow the first shot to land near the following shots . I believe Lock Eze was originally recommended by Clarence Hammonds who is a Hall of Fame BenchRest Shooter so I would put some credence on that . Other BarrelTreatments I've seen recommended over the years are Kroil Penephrite which I've heard is similar to Lock Eze , Transmission Fluid , and Hydraulic Oil ...... and there are a few more I can't recall right now .

Last edited by xring; 07-01-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:15 PM

I switched from moly to HBN because a friend had some 222 loaded for a couple of years, that when he shot some they were showing high pressure which they hadn't shown when he shot them after loading them. The bullets had sealed to the cases like they were glued. When you seated them a little deaper they would make a little pop sound, and didn't have the high pressure after seating deaper. HBN is a lot cleaner and the rifles show no copper fouling, as this was the reason for coating bullets with moly. I use lockease last after cleaning and the first shots from the barrel are very close to group, where it usually took 1 or 2 fowling shots to bring barrel back to point of aim.