Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-01-2014, 03:36 AM
Supporting Member

Default PPU .224 55gr FMJs

While out at the range today, one the Thurs, regulars (I will call him Rich) was shooting his AR fitted with a Nightforce scope trying to determine a good load using PPU .224 55gr FMJs pushed along by BL-C2 at various charge weights. He did not have much success at least by the standard expectations that are common place here. A couple of us kept trying to tell Rich that it was scope not the bullet...

Anyway one of other gents (Jim) was next to him shooting a Rem 40X in 223. I suggested to Rich that if he any extras of the different charge weights, maybe Jim would run them through his 40X. Being that Rich was not happy with how the morning was progressing and seen no reason to waste anymore good powder, handed Jim 5 rds of each charge weight to shoot through Jim's 40X, if I heard correctly they ranged from 25grs up to 27grs in .5gr increments. The best group that Jim shot was 2.5ins at 100yds.

Needless to say Rich was somewhat disappointed with his PPU bullets. He tried to pay some of us to take what he had left home off of his hands without any success. However, Jim may of convinced him to fashion the remaining 2K he had home into fishing sinkers and sell them on ebay. We later agreed to just drop the first P off of PPU and just refer to them as P U bullets.

Michael.

Last edited by AzSam; 08-01-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:49 AM

Odd, I have had good luck with Prvi's 62gr being very accurate. If he is serious about off loading those 55gr I'd be interested in them.

Eric
Old 08-01-2014, 07:29 AM

Who is Dick?
Ken.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Administrator

interesting. I'm using Armscorp 55 FMJ's in my AR and it did about and inch with those and I was pretty happy. Seems they don't have a good rep for being very accurate either. Hornady's are supposed to be pretty good, never tried tho.

The absolute worst bullets I've seen are the plain jane Win 55 gr soft points I got when I bought my first AR. I got a whole bunch at the time, because it's when O'bammy took over and the big scare began. I couldn't do 3" with them. Thought it was the gun/scope. Tried some in my custom 223...nope. Still 3". I finally gave them a good once over...holy cow. Cannelure's were different from one to another, even crooked. OAL/ogive length's were WAY different. I'll never buy those again...and reserve my remaining stash for 30 rnd mag dumps.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:23 PM

Default Ppu .223

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalacustom View Post
Odd, I have had good luck with Prvi's 62gr being very accurate. If he is serious about off loading those 55gr I'd be interested in them.

Eric
Have tried a few also, and in my 7 twist, they were accurate as a lot others. Maybe it is the twist they have in the rifles they shot them in. Bill K
Old 08-02-2014, 04:17 PM

The 285gr. RN Privi's shoot just under an inch in my 1927 Husqvarna M46 9.3x57 @ 100 meters. They even look like nice bullets albeit cheap compared to everyone else's.