Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2016, 03:45 AM
Supporting Member

Default Good info, good site

Hi Guys, I have not posted much over the last couple of years, but I do visit several times in any given week. Early June brought an unexpected new addition to our family while on vacation, a little Ruger 77/357, rather out place for here, but it anyone has any experience with one, please speak up.

That being said, the Ruger is not the focus this post. While browsing through the black hole of the internet trying to find info, data, etc, on the Ruger, it once again became very apparent why this site is one the very few that I bother to frequent, let alone even consider posting anything on. All too often someone will post a query and the reply(s) are either unrelated to the question, or the question never gets answered because some yahoo/A.H. does not read the question, takes it out of context, and/or belittles the author of the post and reason for the post-- just answer the damn question.

Rarely, very, rarely, have I even seen anything even remotely close to that here. Thank You! This a great site, great group of folks who are humble and willing to share their experience and knowledge without having the need to boost their ego at the expense of another, or try to impress cyber space with what they think they know or what they spent. Maybe it is because the small stuff seems to take more attention to detail, the rifles are generally shot at a leisurely pace, or at realistic distances, limited in how many attachments they have, rounds carried, sport optics affordable to the average person, or there no bragging rights involved in who won what when.

I once read, one has to sift the fly turds out of the pepper, and there is A LOT of fly crap out there. Almost to the point of why bother. Just grab a good loading manual, buy the components and get to work would be time better spent.

Once again, thank you for a great place to visit and be a part of in some small way.

All the best,

Michael
Old 07-24-2016, 04:37 AM
Supporting Member

Michael, I could not agree more with you, its a great place for help and friendship. Just look at my post "smiths/machinists" All the advice from blokes here and to think my problem was solved cheaply, just use masking tape

But really having read what the fellas have said I would not fool around trying to fit a factory barrel again

Johno
Old 07-24-2016, 04:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

AZ/Sam:
Just about any subject asked about here gets the same type
replies too. Whole lot of caring folks here too.
Good to see you post again, rare though.
Hope you're staying COOL down there!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-24-2016, 01:19 PM

Default Good Info, Good Site

As mentioned Rarely does something pop up, that is out of line. This site and a couple other's, the mod's, keep it under control and the guys and gals pass info back and forth, with respect for each other. Anywhere you go there can always be the 1%, but even that can be dealt with in a timely manner and things worked out for everyone's benefit.
Enjoy the site and the folks here. Bill K
Old 07-25-2016, 03:54 PM

I spend time on four different shooting sites. All four sites are helpful, courteous and small caliber oriented. Each one has a slightly different 'flavor' but, they all have a very low drama level. Saubier gets more time from me simply because it is the most active of the four. Pretty cool to see responses from around the globe. One thing is for sure, if I am ever broke down on the side of the road, I hope a Saubier member comes by!

By the way, did I ever share the story of how I bagged the World Record Wapiti? It was an amazing 1,500 yard shot with my 20VT. That massive 32 grain V-Max took out his heart, both lungs and demolished the off-side shoulder! My Sherpa said it was quite a sight, I wouldn't know since I was dealing with the brutal recoil. Conditions were extreme as well, we were hunting the upper elevations of Central Park. It was a grueling trek back to the hotel, I mean base camp, each night. Taxi cabs are very reluctant to pick up hunters for some reason. Anyway, shoot me a PM if you would like an autographed picture for your nightstand.....
Old 07-25-2016, 08:06 PM

Default Jon (no h) ;)

My other concern with your expedition under the most extreme of conditions was whether or not the thermal shock of that blistering 32 grainer in such a cold barrel caused it to split the next time you took a shot?
I'm wondering if a feller needs to reseason/anneal his bbl in a gradual method after a really cold winter shot. Say wait till an unusually warm winter day or else just clean it and put it up till Spring, then take one shot, clean, at ea 10° increment, Fahrenheit of course, till you hit the mean summer temps of your locale.

If you will, PM me the other small cal sites you frequent, much appreciated.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:36 PM

TAJ45, PM sent with links.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:50 PM

Default Good info, good site

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
I spend time on four different shooting sites. All four sites are helpful, courteous and small caliber oriented. Each one has a slightly different 'flavor' but, they all have a very low drama level. Saubier gets more time from me simply because it is the most active of the four. Pretty cool to see responses from around the globe. One thing is for sure, if I am ever broke down on the side of the road, I hope a Saubier member comes by!

By the way, did I ever share the story of how I bagged the World Record Wapiti? It was an amazing 1,500 yard shot with my 20VT. That massive 32 grain V-Max took out his heart, both lungs and demolished the off-side shoulder! My Sherpa said it was quite a sight, I wouldn't know since I was dealing with the brutal recoil. Conditions were extreme as well, we were hunting the upper elevations of Central Park. It was a grueling trek back to the hotel, I mean base camp, each night. Taxi cabs are very reluctant to pick up hunters for some reason. Anyway, shoot me a PM if you would like an autographed picture for your nightstand.....
That was fantastic Ramo's Know you enjoyed that hunt. Bill K