Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-20-2018, 04:08 PM

Default last Montana gopher hunt.

Went out yesterday for one last gopher hunt. Fields were very muddy and the gophers were in short supply. Still managed to to go 5 for 5 with the 17 Hornet. But its hard to miss at 15 yards.

Next Monday I will haul my last load of stuff to Oklahoma and end my 21 year legacy-love affair with Montana. Only lived one place longer, my home state of Oregon, 28 years. My work has taken me all over the US and around the world.

10 years ago I retired and I knew I would live my last years out here in Montana. It wasn't true for me, but true for my late wife and my three gopher dogs, the Rat Terriers.

I have a new wife now. She likes to hunt gophers also.

She has a nice home in Oklahoma. Winters get cold there, not as cold as Montana. As I get older the Montana winters seem to get rougher. Medical care is much closer down there. Seemed rather important three years ago when I had my "heart incident". In Oklahma I got in, evaluated and had a stent put in, before the first consultation appointment was scheduled in Montana.

My new wife has heard me talk about my Rat Terriers and how much I loved them. She thought it would be nice if she got me a pup. So what does she get, a cute little Cavalier King Charles- a damn lap dog. Well her heart was in the right place and the dog is nice. But it's no Rat Terrier.

So yesterday on my last gopher hunt I took the dog with me. Wow, can that dog hunt. She got right after the gopher holes, and soon spotted one running. She quickly put scent in gopher hole together with running gopher and went to town. Wonder what she would do with some training. As were driving down the road she was up in my lap, head out the window hunting. I had to hold onto her to keep her from jumping out the window.

https://youtu.be/Z6spFdz95jc

Wife wss very concerned about the dog getting a gopher, then points out another gopher.

Here is my last Gopher hunt picture.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:35 PM

Default Last Nontana gopher hunt.

Thank for sharing the story and video. Do you watch or do anything to maybe keep the dog/s from getting invested with lice, etc picking up and mouthing those critters ? Bill K
Old 06-20-2018, 06:20 PM

No not at all. These are Richardson Ground Squirrels. There is a wonder website out Lethbridge Ab by ao Professor at the University. She has made a career studying them. The are relatively disease and vermin free.

I have to concur with her I have never seen lice, ticks or fleas on these squirrels. Prairie Dogs, now that is another subject. I won't let my dogs near those pest ridden critters.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:26 PM

Default Last Montana gopher hunt

That is good, however in my area the Richardson ground squirrels do have fleas fairly often. I am in N.E. Calif and I believe the one's in Oregon can also, maybe some in Or can advise, if so or not. That is why I asked about those in your area. Bill K
Old 06-20-2018, 07:43 PM

Double D,
Best wishes and good luck to you and Wifey for the next phase of your lives.
Regards,Ken.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:46 PM

Beautiful- thanks for the video. What a little cutie - like a really undersized black and white springer. Cool! Bet she can be taught to retrieve.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Went out yesterday for one last gopher hunt. Fields were very muddy and the gophers were in short supply. Still managed to to go 5 for 5 with the 17 Hornet. But its hard to miss at 15 yards.

Next Monday I will haul my last load of stuff to Oklahoma and end my 21 year legacy-love affair with Montana. Only lived one place longer, my home state of Oregon, 28 years. My work has taken me all over the US and around the world.

10 years ago I retired and I knew I would live my last years out here in Montana. It wasn't true for me, but true for my late wife and my three gopher dogs, the Rat Terriers.

I have a new wife now. She likes to hunt gophers also.

She has a nice home in Oklahoma. Winters get cold there, not as cold as Montana. As I get older the Montana winters seem to get rougher. Medical care is much closer down there. Seemed rather important three years ago when I had my "heart incident". In Oklahma I got in, evaluated and had a stent put in, before the first consultation appointment was scheduled in Montana.

My new wife has heard me talk about my Rat Terriers and how much I loved them. She thought it would be nice if she got me a pup. So what does she get, a cute little Cavalier King Charles- a damn lap dog. Well her heart was in the right place and the dog is nice. But it's no Rat Terrier.

So yesterday on my last gopher hunt I took the dog with me. Wow, can that dog hunt. She got right after the gopher holes, and soon spotted one running. She quickly put scent in gopher hole together with running gopher and went to town. Wonder what she would do with some training. As were driving down the road she was up in my lap, head out the window hunting. I had to hold onto her to keep her from jumping out the window.

https://youtu.be/Z6spFdz95jc

Wife wss very concerned about the dog getting a gopher, then points out another gopher.

Here is my last Gopher hunt picture.

Well.....it is really a Cavalier King Charles SPANIEL. Aren't Spaniels generally working/hunting dogs, or am I wrong? The dog seems to have the hunting attitude, and that might be just as importat as breeding.

Nice dog.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:23 AM

Best of luck on your next chapter!

Yesterday was a tough day for shooting in N. Montana.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
That is good, however in my area the Richardson ground squirrels do have fleas fairly often. I am in N.E. Calif and I believe the one's in Oregon can also, maybe some in Or can advise, if so or not. That is why I asked about those in your area. Bill K

All the picket pins I ever shot in Northern Cal out of McDoel were Belding Ground squirrels and they were flea bags. I didn't know there were any Richardson that far south or west.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:55 AM

Default Last Montana gopher hunt.

Can be mistaken, but I believe there are both species around. Bill K