Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-07-2018, 05:47 PM

Have you tried powder coating these little lead bullets? Might be able to push them a little and not lead the barrel. Pretty simple to do. I have the stuff to do it with and have done a mess of .45 ACP bullets but intend to try some .204 cast bullets when I can take the time and remember to do so. Should be fun.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 06-07-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle_view View Post
Have you tried powder coating these little lead bullets? Might be able to push them a little and not lead the barrel. Pretty simple to do. I have the stuff to do it with and have done a mess of .45 ACP bullets but intend to try some .204 cast bullets when I can take the time and remember to do so. Should be fun.

Lowell
I have as a matter of fact, and they do pretty well PC'd. I actually haven't had any leading issues so far, even when I was playing with 'top end' loads. The bullets fill the throat pretty well, and are about .002 oversize for the bore, so they aren't prone to gas cutting. The PC does make everything a little cleaner through the suppressor though, and make loading a little cleaner (no bullet lube on the fingers).

I have one mold for .20 air rifle projectiles, but they aren't the easiest thing to cast... Who made your .204 mold for you? I look forward to seeing your results!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

No Z's
That's slick! Tedious to make 'em though I know that part.

The only time I've cut the extraction groove was on some
old .45 colt balloon head cases I picked up somewhere.
Wanted to see if they'd come apart with full loads.
Several reloads thru them and not a problem with any yet.

Real hassle to cast such tiny slugs though. Drill some holes in a plate
and hammer a piece of lead in them.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-08-2018, 04:46 PM

Several years ago a group of us here on Small Caliber combined an order to Lee Precision for dies to cast bullets for the 5MM Craig (RRM-CF). I think there were about 20 of them ordered. You might find someone that does not want to cast these bullets anymore and get one of their's, I am keeping mine.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 06-08-2018, 07:41 PM

And I forgot to add a photo of the case design as I settled on it, using the same rim diameter and thickness as the .22 LR:

The photo is deceiving, the rim looks much thicker than that of the .22R, but it really isn't, I just haven't been cutting the edges round (helps with extraction too)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
No Z's
That's slick! Tedious to make 'em though I know that part.

The only time I've cut the extraction groove was on some
old .45 colt balloon head cases I picked up somewhere.
Wanted to see if they'd come apart with full loads.
Several reloads thru them and not a problem with any yet.

Real hassle to cast such tiny slugs though. Drill some holes in a plate
and hammer a piece of lead in them.
this is interesting! would we call that hammer swaging
Old 06-08-2018, 10:00 PM

Hammer swaging might be a little faster than pouring lead.

As an example, I took the H&N 21gr Piledrivers and push them through a sizing die made from a Dremel chuck. It sizes them from .177 down to .1726 in a couple of taps.
at $35 PER 500 DELIVERED to my door, I can't beat it. I'm turning them backwards to use the hollow base as a nice big HP.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

SS: So would I.

IF it was steel I'd call it black smithing. ha!

When frustrated at times I have just beat on the welding table
to relieve MY stress too. 3/4" plate can take a LOT of pounding
with a big hammer!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 06-09-2018 at 05:42 AM. Reason: fixings
Old 06-09-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
SS: So would I.

IF it was steel I'd call it black smithing. ha!

When frustrated at times I have just beat on the welding table
to relieve MY stress too. 3/4" plate can take a LOT of pounding
with a big hammer!
ha ha. maybe you should brand it as hammer "forged" bullets and make a killing on it. since it sounds stronger it must be right?

I remember when I worked in Colorado in the winters there was alot of knuckle busting (well still do it but man it hurts a 100 times more in the cold) and that usually resulted in some choice verbage, throwing of tools, and beating on work benches. lol amazing how theraputic breaking or beating on things can be.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:57 PM

Default Making bullets and brass

It is nice to read that there are still some around willing to put the effort in to see a vision become reality. It is a dieing art in most things that actually require physically and mentally working. The design of the 22 rim fire with a heeled bullet of case diameter was great at the time. After spending too much time coming up with a way to swage jacketed heeled bullets to fit the little rim fire cases going to bullets that fit inside cases was a huge improvement. During the shortage of 22 rimfires several of us revisited the conversion of rim to centerfire so the existing rimfires could be used. As many things to overcome as different actions built for the rimfires. That was before dealing with making an exact replacement in centerfire with a heeled bullet. Swaging a lead heeled bullet isn't that hard. Making the cases eats your lunch. Turning from brass stock with a CNC or screw machine type setup wouldn't be bad. The cost of hiring it done is extremely high. For example having 10 or 12 caliber bullets turned was quoted at 6 to 10 cents each with a minimum of 50,000 bullets of one size, plus setup fee. This was quoted several years ago. I just made a plunge cut tool and turned them one at a time. Modifications to brass was along same line. Looked at roll sizer at friends commercial reloading place. He uses it for removing Glock swell from cases before resizing. The machine loads bulk brass of the given caliber it is set up for in a line rim down and rolls it to size. Brass is then dumped into another machine that sizes and loads it. For a roll sizer to reduce a 25 acp to 22 rimfire size without reducing primer pocket same amount would require a pin to be in the primer pocket and flash hole. It would have to be held in place for entire process. Possible but other ways to achieve same results would probably be cheaper and easier. I admire and greatly appreciate the effort others are putting into this. Not saying anything to discourage but to possibly explain the problems and things they are working to overcome and get around. Most of us take a easier route and avoid what they are willing to do to get where they are going. These are the people that in the end make things better