Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifeman View Post
Just picked up a 221 fireball XP. Can anyone tell me what rifle stock the action will fit in? Thanks
The true original XP actions aren't direct bolt in's to any Remington action pattern stock. The best bet is to get a 'flat top' stock and inlet it specifically for the XP action.

But 700 ADL style stocks are easily modified for the XP actions as the rear action screw on an XP is where the front trigger guard screw is on a short 700. Drill and tap the small XP rear screw to 1/4-28 and inlet a pillar into the stock at that location. The front trigger guard screw now becomes the rear action screw. Float the tang.

If you look on this section under '17-223 questions' heading, there's some pics of an XP that I recently put into an old BR stock for barrel evaluation. It's a few pages into the thread so you'll have to bear with some stuff to get to the action stuff. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Good shootin' -Al

Last edited by Al Nyhus; 05-09-2022 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:37 PM

You might try MPI stocks. I haven't traded with them for some time, but have used three or four of their stocks in the past. They were at one time quite expansive in what they offered. They are a raw stock and need inletting, action holes etc.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:42 PM

I talked with the guy who has done the custom bedding for MPI and he has a number of stocks that can be used for XP actions. His name is Rick Steinhour and has done a few rifles for me over 30 years. https://www.extremerifleworks.com/

He is the kind of guy who will do exactly what you want, as much as you want etc and has been extremely generous with his time over the years. He is NOT the guy who worked for MPI and managed to screw up their relationship with Dakota and another outfit and/or was in any way connected with that fiasco.

You might want to give him a call. He's done a lot with XP actions in rifle configuration and still does a few.
Old 04-29-2022, 01:13 AM

If I may make a suggestion. Why not sell it, let someone enjoy it as the pistol it was designed to be and start with something else. Chances are if it becomes a rifle, it will never be converted back to a pistol, and that would be a shame.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

have you seen what they are getting for the original xp-100's?
Old 05-07-2022, 12:09 AM

Ok guys I agave up on the 221xp action. To much of a pain in the Azz. Will keep looking for another action. Thanks