Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 PM

Default Savage feeding problems

i have a new savage predator max 1 model 10 in 204 ruger that won't reliably feed rounds. it has a detachable box magazine, it will feed ballistic tipped bullets somewhat regularly but not so much the hp bullets such as the 35 gr. bergers i am wanting to shoot. has anyone else had feeding problems with a savage with a detachable magazine and what did you do to fix it…if any?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 PM

Default savage max 1

I had issues too, but on mine the bolt would slide over the round without picking it out of the mag. Called them up and they sent me a new one free of charge and I purchased a spare. The new ones work like they should, Good luck.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 PM

i sent them an email two days ago and no word yet. going to call about it tomorrow. what caliber was yours in? yeah mine mostly just jams. it picks up the rounds just fine and with ballistic tip bullets i can load three into the mag and they mostly cycle fine but if i put four or five rounds in the mag its jam city! and i can only load one in the mag with HP's otherwise its the same thing. very disappointing for such a great shooting rifle.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Supporting Member

My buddy has the Model 12FLV .204R. Same thing. HP's give him fits. He loaded up some V Max and they cycled fine. His gin shoots great though.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 PM

Default Feeding issues

Mine was a 204 also. It fed 38 unmussigs fine thru the new mag. It shot the 35 bergers great with 8208 but it think I was single loading them working up a load. Their customer service seemed pretty good when I told them of the issue as they didn't hesitate trying to resolve the problem.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:37 PM

I have a 223 Model 11 Trophy Hunter DBM - centerfeed. It was feeding fine until I tried Hornady 55gr FMJ when the bolt would slide over the round. Now it is getting worse and I have to push up on the magazine even for other brands of ammo. In total, a little over 100 rounds through this rifle and magazine.

I think the plastic wears on the catch making it sit lower. I am looking for a shim to get the metal portion of the magazine to sit higher. Has anyone modified the plastic DBM (same thing as the AXIS mag)?
Old 03-20-2014, 05:55 PM

Default very frustrated!!! :(

Savage has finally got back to me via email and they are sending me a new magazine hopefully that does the trick. i also took it to a gunsmith just this morning and he said there was nothing he could do and he thought the problem is that the barrel is not threaded down enough. there are quite a few threads i can see when i look down the chamber. not sure though, it could be threaded correctly or maybe not. i know if i can't get this to work i will be headed straight back to CZ for another 527 varmint and get rid of this savage and not look back…have a very bad taste in my mouth for my first savage purchase very poor design if you ask me but what a shooter
Old 03-20-2014, 05:58 PM

Don't take them to Africa. You might wind up a blood puddle.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetoshoot View Post
Savage has finally got back to me via email and they are sending me a new magazine hopefully that does the trick. i also took it to a gunsmith just this morning and he said there was nothing he could do and he thought the problem is that the barrel is not threaded down enough. there are quite a few threads i can see when i look down the chamber. not sure though, it could be threaded correctly or maybe not. i know if i can't get this to work i will be headed straight back to CZ for another 527 varmint and get rid of this savage and not look back…have a very bad taste in my mouth for my first savage purchase very poor design if you ask me but what a shooter
I am guessing the gunsmith does not like or know a thing about a Savage. If it is head spaced properly, which with a barrel nut is not an issue, the barrel is fine. It sounds like the follower is not going up high enough in the front.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I am guessing the gunsmith does not like or know a thing about a Savage. If it is head spaced properly, which with a barrel nut is not an issue, the barrel is fine. It sounds like the follower is not going up high enough in the front.
Agreed the smith doesn't know what he's looking at. If the barrel is screwed in any further then your going to have headspace issues. I had a similar problem on my 17HH it would feed factory rounds or reloads with a tipped bullet fine but load a HP and it would jam every time. I put a small piece of stick on felt toward the front of the magazine follower that raised the front of the round slightly, no more problems even with a full mag. Might be worth a try on it. Savage has good customer service they will make it right.

Tags
204 ruger, detachable magazine, feeding, problems