Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-11-2017, 01:12 AM

Default Another Sako question

I am really unfamiliar with Sako rifles but came across a Sako L461 Vixen in .222. What would one of these be worth in excellent shape with a mid power fixed magnification Leupold scope if the whole package is in excellent condition? How do they compare with a Cooper? Can you adjust the triggers for a nice pull or get a decent replacement?

Thanks,

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I am really unfamiliar with Sako rifles but came across a Sako L461 Vixen in .222. What would one of these be worth in excellent shape with a mid power fixed magnification Leupold scope if the whole package is in excellent condition? How do they compare with a Cooper? Can you adjust the triggers for a nice pull or get a decent replacement?
I'm a big fan of the Vixen actions. Without knowing the value of the Leupold scope, the rifle can sell for 1000-1300 on GB if in excellent condition. Sako rings can bring close to 150.

They are similar but different than Coopers. I find the Coopers to be more accurate than Sako in my experience.

The triggers are just Ok, not great. You can adjust them down to around 3 pounds. I had one that didn't work right and I recently replaced it with a Timney. A big improvement over the trigger I removed.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:47 AM

A L461 Sako Vixen .222 in excellent original condition with period correct fixed Leupold scope would be worth around $1200 here in Australia but prices are climbing as true mint condition originals dry up.

The .222 Rem chambering perfectly suited the small Sako action (much better than the .222 Rem Mag which was a bit too long for bullet seating flexibility and still be able to eject loaded rounds) and is usually VERY accurate as-is.

Not familiar with Cooper rifles here.

The triggers are generally very good and can be adjusted for a reasonably light (2.5-3lb) crisp release in conjunction with spring tension tweaks, a little stoning and polishing of the surfaces and shimming for depth of sear engagement. A decent smith should be able to do this... but beware any mistakes cannot be corrected as parts are no longer available

However many OEM triggers were swapped out for Timneys 'back in the day' as full adjustments could be more readily made.
Still available today from Timney (they even offer a custom factory preset... see Pull Weight tab)
https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/...t-trigger.aspx

Last edited by Tilleyman; 04-12-2017 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Clarification...
Old 04-11-2017, 04:50 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I had a .222 mag in this rifle.
Damned fine one hole shooter with most any bullet I tried.
Until the barrel gave out at some over 6000 rnds. It never made
a paper group bigger than a dime.
There was few targets shot though, most were fired at prairie dogs at various
ranges out to way further than reasonable. I never did hit 100/100, but, I did make one 99/100, and a whole bunch of 98/100.
I only had 100 cases. Quite a few days I fired 400 rounds with them though.
We lived in the middle of a huge ranch and it was covered with pd towns. Most of my shooting was within two miles of the house. By the time I shot 100rnds it was time to go get more cold beer so I'd reload 'em and go back at it.
Never had a problem with the trigger.
My gun was purchased new in Germany Aug '72.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 04-11-2017, 03:07 PM
Supporting Member

Default value

As in all things Sako it's about condition and one man's excellent may be what you or I call a shooter grade rifle. That rifle in clean original shape is a 650 to 850 rifle. If the rings are the period correct Sako's add 50, if they are highs add 150. Fixed power Leupy 150. Those are values based on parting it out. As a package a little less than the total. In the L461 the 222 is the most common chambering, 223 and 222mags bring premiums.

Triggers an be adjusted safely down to 2-2.5lbs, any less it's a crap shoot. There are those that go lighter, proceed at your own risk. Sometimes you can luck onto a Canjar set trigger and Timney makes a replacement.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-11-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:26 PM

If you put buy it now on GB it will go very fast. A well used L461 will go for that.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the help guys. It looks like the price is probably too high from what everyonenis saying. The rings appear to be vintage Sako. The seller wants $1500.00.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Wants and gets many times vary much.

IF YOU want it, bid half that and watch the bidding.
Be sure you can take it if you "win" the bid though.

Don't get jacked by the ST in Wis!!

There's cheaper one's like it around so don't get taken.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"