Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2018, 01:59 AM

Default cooper mod.21

I have a mod. 21 cooper safe queen in 204 r with about 50 rds thru it
Thinking of selling it. What is it worth.
What is a new one selling for.
Thanks
Mugadutz
Old 03-06-2018, 02:05 AM

We need a lot more info to put a price on it. Go to coopers site and look up the model and wood AA, AAA etc. classic, varminter, etc
Old 03-06-2018, 02:14 AM

MSRP oughta be on Cooper's site FWIW.

Gunbroker lists the Cooper rifles, one can see beginning or working bids on such there, and if a member can see what they think they sold for, noting that all completed things do not always complete.

A year ago, I did purchase my first Cooper rifle(21) with rings, a regular varmint model with nice wood with 200 pieces of brass(Lapua 20 TAC) preowned in like new condition for 900. The 20 TAC might not have the clout that the 204 Ruger does in some circles, so that would be a pondering feature. One has to suspect that pricing varies greatly by location.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post
A year ago, I did purchase my first Cooper rifle(21) with rings, a regular varmint model with nice wood with 200 pieces of brass(Lapua 20 TAC) preowned in like new condition for 900.
You got quite a bargain. Most used Model 21's I see sell for around 11-1300 in good condition and either the Phoenix or standard wood versions.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:29 PM

This Cooper 20 TAC varmint/wood/stainless barrel sat on the rack for a couple of months at a local gunshop. Most did not know what a 20 TAC was, and not any interest in the 20 or 17 calibers here. I know one other regular at the shop that shoots a 17. Unless it is an 06 or 223, rifles kinda sit a while.

One would suspect that an internet site is the place to move these types of specialty rifles; a larger market of course, but one has to be comfortable with that atmosphere.

So I got my first Cooper rifle, action is unique to me. Guns are kinda like houses in a way, location can make or break them. I gave the price of a couple of No.1's for it, just the way it worked that day; still not sure why, but is ok.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:35 PM

A number of Coopers are advertised on the Guns International site. Wood quality can significantly affect price. Earlier production tends to have more highly figured wood in my experience.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...cfm?cat_id=282
Old 03-06-2018, 09:06 PM

Default Cooper 21

John I agree with your observation that the early Coopers came with much better figured stocks than today. You can still get the better wood, but have to pay for the upgraded wood. Remember when the Outdoorsman was the biggest Cooper dealer and you could look at 12 to 15 new Coopers, many of which had good wood.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:31 PM

I don't think it it's all that hard to price. A Cooper Model 21 in 204R with decent wood, low round count and no dings in it should be worth $1,200.00 to $1,400.00 these days. Unusual chamberings, upgraded wood and other options would complicate things.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Arner View Post
John I agree with your observation that the early Coopers came with much better figured stocks than today. You can still get the better wood, but have to pay for the upgraded wood. Remember when the Outdoorsman was the biggest Cooper dealer and you could look at 12 to 15 new Coopers, many of which had good wood.
Glenn, I was a very good customer of the Outdoorsman in those early Cooper years. Always a pleasure to deal with Tom. Visited Cooper a couple times when trout fishing the Bitterroot in Montana.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:46 AM

I just sold a cooper Phoenix model 51 (same as 21 in a repeater) 17 Remington with about 650 rounds down the tube for $1600 but that was with a Lilja ss 9 twist barrel blank.