Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-09-2022, 04:02 AM

Default What size bushing do I need for 22 Hornet

I have a 22 Hornet rifle on order, and want to order a set of the RCBS 22 Hornet Matchmaster FL dies. Can someone save me additional shipping and tell me the size of the 3 or 4 bushings I will need to order? I know I should wait and measure my ammo, but thought all you Hornet aficionados could shortcut the process for me.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:49 AM

MM - do you know which brand of brass you will be using? I have several different brands on hand and can measure with a bullet seated. It will be this afternoon/evening so someone else may be able to give you the info you need sooner.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:05 PM

Yes, you have to know what brand of brass you are using. I can measure if I know. I have RP, WW Privi,Hornady and RWS on hand to measure. If you size Privi brass .003 and use the same bushing on a RP case, you will have almost no neck tension.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:18 PM

Most bushing makers advise .002 under what your neck measurement is, I believe. Read a few bushing sellers advise and go from there.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256wm View Post
MM - do you know which brand of brass you will be using? I have several different brands on hand and can measure with a bullet seated. It will be this afternoon/evening so someone else may be able to give you the info you need sooner.
If I knew which was the best brass, I would buy 300 to 500, if I can get it. I like Nosler, Hornady and have used Winchester and Remington brass. I'd like to buy the best that will stand up to reloading. I can anneal, and will use a Redding T-7 press.

At this time I can find only Privi and Remington 22 Hornet Brass to purchase on-line. So I suppose it will be Remington, since I never heard of Privi previously (though it is less costly).

I'm wide open to suggestions.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:22 PM

I have used some of the privi brass in a few small cartridges, due to fact of being able to find/buy some. It works well, but does seem on the hard side and it is best to anneal prior to beginning reloading it.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:35 PM
Supporting Member

Privi is excellent brass in the 22 Hornet. I use it and WW. both will easily go 15 firings. Both have less capacity than Rem so same speed for slightly less powder. As to the bushings, I own a range of them so I don't have to worry about not having the right one for the brass I am using. There is a sticky in the loading section about forming 17 HH brass from 22H that has a ton of measurements in it, including neck thickness of the various makes of brass.

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22639

Last edited by Dean2; 02-09-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:07 PM

I don't know if the 22 Hornet brass suffers from the same QC problems the 17HH brass does but in my 17HH brass just about every different lot # has a different neck thickness so I keep my 17HH brass segregated by its neck thickness and have a few different bushings to keep my neck tension the same. My 17HH brass range from 9-12 thou neck thickness. Also, not sure what you're using but calipers aren't really the best tool for measuring neck thickness.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:01 PM

I have four 22 Hornets. Part of the issue is that the 22 Hornet is so old, there are many different chambers/reamers available that have been used by the different manufacturers. My Ruger No.3 is pretty sloppy, the Kimber M82 is the tightest, and the CZ527 and the Cooper M38 are in between. I only use one type of brass and segregate the brass to the rifle. After fireforming, I only neck size to reloading the brass. 22 Hornet brass can vary as much a whole grain between manufacturers. If you mix brands, it will make it more difficult for your reloading. Also, some of the European brass has slightly smaller flash holes.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:00 PM

Monster man over the last 40 years I feel like I've almost gone broke buying 22 Hornet dies. The 22 Hornet is the one and only exception to me full length sizing every time. When I started neck sizing the Hornet I used a Wilson neck sizer using a arbor press. That die and bushing are still here someplace.

Then a read a Rocky Raab article about reloading for the Hornet where he was using a Lee collet neck sizing die. Yep, you guessed it I ordered a Lee collet neck sizer. I haven't used the Wilson bushing die since.

If I do get to the point I feel like I need to full length size I use a Redding die.

One thing I have found about the Hornet is the chambers are all over the place, brass is all over the place, and the reloading dies are really all over the place. The Hornet is a great round if you take the time to get to know it. I never try to push the Hornet or K beyond what it is and have no problems with brass life.

Wonder if anyone here saved that Rocky Raab article? I think he was shooting a Browning if I remember right.