Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Tribute to fallen members

Old 06-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Supporting Member

Default My good friend "Varmintator", Al Jennings passed away on the 18th. Fathers Day.

Al was born Jan 23rd 1936 in Miles City and passed on Fathers Day, 6/18/2017. I guess it's fitting he passed on Fathers Day cause he talked about his daughters (whose names are forgotten due my bad memory ) and Son Jeff all the time when we were out and about. Al loved his wife deeply and he and Kathy and Nancy and I had a lotta good times. Kathy proceeded him in passing and it's comforting to know they are together again. He missed her terribly these last few years since she passed.

I will never forget the day many years ago when Al got hooked on small calibers. I knew him pretty well at that time from all the range time but we were a couple benches apart right after I'd finished load development on my .20 Tactical and I started shooting the gongs we have at each berm 100 meters apart out to 500 meters. It was just Al and I at the range so every time I shot at a gong the "WAAANG!" was easily heard and at 4,150FPS I'd shoot and that "WAAANG!" was near instant. Al had a deep curiously about all things gun related and the "Bang.Whaaang" of that .20 Tactical had his interest peaked to say the least. After a bit he couldn't stand it any more and he walked down and asked "What the heck are you shooting?", the hook was set, Al was a small caliber guy from that moment on . .17 Mach IV, .20 Tactical, .204, several .17 HMR's, we had a lotta fun sharing the sport. I wish I had a nickle for every gopher he ever laid waste to, I'd be a very wealthy man.
A few years later I got a .20 VarTarg and had him shoot it on a gopher hunt, Al had one in about 4 months . As with any good hunting buddy of many years there are way to many story's about memorable times we had to share em all here much as I'd like to, suffice it to say he is missed already and will continue to be in the future.
Al was quick with a joke and a patriot through and through. There was always a flag pole with "Old Glory" on it in his front yard, a fine man and good American!
Rest in peace old friend until we see each other again.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:12 PM

Bittersweet read.

First off, Montdoug, sorry for your loss of a friend. Beyond that, after losing his wife, he was likely looking forward to reuniting with her -- that's the sweet part.

+1 on the RIP part.

Tongue tied now.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:22 AM

Default Doug......

Sorry for the loss of your friend, and patriot.

R.I.P. Al.

Kevin
Old 06-26-2017, 03:46 AM
Supporting Member

I'm sorry to hear this, Doug. He sounds like a great husband, father and friend.

Eric
Old 06-27-2017, 12:51 PM

Sorry for the loss Doug. For fellow brothers in Christ it's never goodbye just so long for now.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 06-27-2017, 01:53 PM

Always tough when a real friend passes. It sounds like he was the type that could anyone could have fun with. Cherish those fond memories. In the end, that's all we really have.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:17 PM
Supporting Member

Guys, I asked permission from Al's son Jeff to post this here and he said yes but asked if I could send him a link to the site. I sent the link and he read the posts and wanted me to thank all for the thoughts, kind words and prayers for his Dad. Jeff too is a Veteran, a Patriot and the best this Country has to offer. While I've never met him in person I sure feel I know him from all the conversations with Al. Your prayers for Jeff and the rest of Al's family are appreciated, the loss of their Mom 4 years ago and now their Dad has to make this a difficult time at the Jennings home.
I am grateful that I had called Al Saturday afternoon before Fathers day and talked with him about smucking some gophers soon. A fond last memory of my native Montana "hunting buddy" and friend.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:43 PM

Default None of us are here very long....

Doug I'm glad you two had such fun times together.Dungheap has it right this is a bittersweet post,I'm glad Al is together again with his wife sorry for the family and friends left behind.We may not understand Gods master plan always, but we can rest assured he is in charge and knows what he is doing.
Matt
Old 07-07-2017, 08:14 AM
Supporting Member

I find much peace in that knowledge Matt and I know you do as well.
God Bless Brother.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:52 AM

You will be missed, a Great onE