Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-13-2017, 02:20 PM

Default Cast boolits in 22h

Thanks for the responses on “CAST” bullets.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:20 PM

The Lyman handbooks I have show really good results with the Hornet- with the 16" twist and the shorter bullets.

Best accuracy load with the #225415 bullet, in their #2 alloy was 7.5gr. W680 (H116) at 1,828fps and 21,800cup.

A Reloader #7 load runs that bullet at 1,785fps with 9.5gr. and 15,300cup.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:43 AM

I shoot the Lee 22 Bator bullet sized to .225 pushed by 2.4 gr. of Trail Boss.
Very accurate and fun to shoot out of a surpressed rifle assuming you don't mind cleaning the lube out of the baffles.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:55 AM
Supporting Member

We shoot the Lee Bator in the Hornets here as well and just about the same load as Johnly but no suppressor. We have put away the 22lr for tree rats and use the Hornet, it's probably more accurate than the 22lr anyway at tree top range. Ours are sized to 224 but I have a spare Lee sizing die I may open up to see if they get better. We are in the beginning stages of powder coating too, more on that as I get more into it.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:05 AM

Well, if I could get those TCM bullets here in Canada at those prices I would be sitting on a five gallon bucket of them! Wowsers!

I sorta aimed myself at casting for small bore right from the outset, did a fair bit of homework and bought a couple .22 molds, mostly Lyman 225 sizes. So far have 225107, 225438, 225415, all aimed at use in a Hornet with a 12 twist barrel. I also hooked into a longer 225 mold with about 6 or so lube grooves, cannot recall the number. Bit long for a Hornet, but maybe in a 223.

Bought one of the group buy 225107 NOE molds as well, when I was feeling enthused. Helped some by reported velocities well over 2000 fps on a .221 Fireball, using the fellows Speed Green lube.

One of these days I swear, I wil make some progress on that Hornet project!
Old 12-31-2017, 02:34 AM

I’ve been having one heck of a good time shooting lead in my K Hornet. As an aside I have to say it helped me clean up a lot of sloppy casting practices that have built up over the past number of years. I have the 44 grain GC Lyman 225438, the 55 grain GC 225415, and the NOE 225 37 grain GC mold. I also just received the NOE 225 57 grain mold that’s new and unused at this time.

I’m currently sticking with the 44 grain Lyman because I had a number of unresolved bullet choice issues not related to gaining the best accuracy I could with my rifle. Issues such as the alloy being used (currently trying 90-5-5 which is the Lyman #2 blend), the contaminants that had built up in the mould cavity and such caused me to reset and sort out those issues before I decided on what bullet shot best. Once I get the 44 grain Lyman’s shooting like they should I’ll branch out from there.

From the beginning I was looking at a low velocity loads and started at 600 fps and I seem to be settled on about 1,300 fps. All powders that were used were fast pistol powders. But I had to reset when there were unexpected fliers that pulled <1” 100 yard groups into the 2” range. That’s when I stopped, reassessed my equipment and casting practices.

I’m pretty confident that the fliers were caused by poorly cast bullets and improperly seated gas checks. As it stands now my equipment is squared away I’m about ready to shoot groups in the next couple days with the adjustments I made to the equipment and the methods I had been using.

The next round will again be with the 44 grain Lyman, the powder will be Unique and the velocity will be in the 1,200 – 1,400 fps range. We’ll see how that goes.

All said and done, shooting cast in small cal’s has added a degree of complexity and variability that’s fun to juggle. I’ll let you know how that goes. Take care, Bill.