Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Supporting Member

Default Remington 572 22lr pump

Nice little 22 pump, first squirrel rifle. Still have it.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:44 PM

My first .22 was an Ace that my uncle, a Cpl. in the Mounted Police gave me for my 12th birthday. I used to take it apart - 1 screw, wrap it up in newspaper and tie it onto the handle bars of my bicycle, then ride out to a local farm a mile 1/2 from town. There was a large yellow handled screw driver in one of the barn windows that I used to screw the rifle back together. Ron's son Glen and I would then go out shooting most everything on the farm. Glen was a couple years older than I and used his Dad's model 60 Cooey - Oh Boy - a repeater.
Shot a lot of woodchucks with that Ace (Cooey).
Old 11-10-2018, 08:11 PM

My first 22lr was a Winchester Model 74 my grandfather bought new himself and gave me, I still have it.

The first 22lr I bought with my own money was a Marlin Golden 39A. I bought it through the Sears catalog. I didn't have it a real long time before I sold it and bought a Winchester 9422. I've always liked the Winnie model 94's, I think I've still got four or five of them.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:35 PM

I found my first 22 (or any gun) when walking home sticking up out of a trash bin. It is a Sears J.C. Higgins 42 DL (Marlin 780) magazine bolt gun. I carried it home to see just what it was I had discovered. This wouldn't work today a 9 year old boy carrying a rifle down a New Jersey suburban street. The rifles safety didn't work and the firing pin tip was missing. I was allowed to keep it because it wouldn't fire. It didn't take me long to make a firing pin from a piece on finishing nail. They would last 10 to 20 shots then make a new one. When my parents found out I could shoot the rifle it was taken away until I could fix the safety. I bent the safety tang long enough to engage and block the trigger so it wouldn't fire as long as you didn't pull to hard. In the early 1980's I had it reblued and I welded up and fitted the safety properly and put in a real firing pin. The stock was last refinished when I was around 12 (sanded ,stained, Turtle Wax as its what I had) and could use another refinishing. After 50 years I still have the rifle that followed me home.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

all the post remind me of the first time I shot a rifle. it was a Remington 550 deluxe with the metal deflector. I was 4 years old and my dad held it and I got to pull the trigger.
when my brother joined the air force he took my dads rifle with him. many times my dad mentioned the rifle and how my brother had taken his 22 and lost it in a pawn shop.
I was in a local gun shop one day and low and behold there was the rifles twin. I paid 100.00 for it inc tax. I had them put it in a box and headed to dads.
when I came in he noticed the box but said nothing. later he as what's in the box? I calmly look at him and said it was a box from my brother who was still in the air force. told dad there was a note from my brother saying it should belong to me since I was the youngest. when I opened the box all I heard was "that's my rifle" as he wrestled it from my hands. all I said was ok but when you go it's mine, he agreed.

I told mom what I had done and she laughed and said we would keep it between us. when pop passed away mom gave me the rifle and thanked me for making the old boy happy for all those years, I gave him the rifle almost 46 years ago..
Old 11-10-2018, 10:09 PM

First rifle I ever owned is a Brno Mod 2, built in 1971, wears an old Kahles 6x42 scope, I trapped and sold a lot of rabbits after school, on the weekends and school holidays to pay for it, still got it in the safe, I don't know how many shots through it, 250.000 is a rough estimate. Used it when I shot rabbits professionally, replaced it with a CZ453 ten or so years ago. Must get that new barrel fitted to it one day.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:17 PM

My first 22 was a Win model 72 that would shoot shorts, long and long rifle ammo. IIRC my dad paid $15.00 for it (used) in 1956 or there abouts. I still have it and it is still in great shape. To be honest I cant recall ever killing an animal with it. I guess I could remedy that though. I was about 7 when dad got it and we would go to Izaak Walton gun club and practice, after shooting targets I would shoot clay pigeons at 100 yds, I think that is where the sickness started.

Last edited by varmintshooter; 11-10-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: correct model #
Old 11-10-2018, 11:36 PM

My first was a Marlin bolt action magazine fed rifle that my dad got from the estate of an uncle of his. I remember him bring it home, rusty and ugly, and he spent a lot of time cleaning it up and cold bluing it. Didn't keep it long, though, as the Ruger 10/22 was advertised in Boy's Life magazine about that time and I really, really wanted one. Traded in the Marling and that Ruger and I bonded right away. Squirrels were in deep trouble when the season came around and Mom smiled when the extra game came in. Years later I let a friend's son use it, he tripped and broke the stock, and it ended up being traded away. After lots of 22s over the years, right now I'm down to a Remington 580 single shot that shoots better than a Remington THB and a Cooper I had at the time.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:09 AM
Supporting Member

Default First 22

My first 22 was at the age of 10 to 12 years old.(I had worn out a couple of BB guns by that time) It was a Stevens 15A. Single shot with the rear pull back cocking plunger and a terrible trigger. I hunted jack rabbits relentlessly in the 100 acres of native buffalo grass east of the house. I knew where each of their hides were at and would sneak up on them and kick them out for running shots. With the single shot I did not get many as they were out of out of range after the first shot. When I was 16 my Dad bought me a scoped Marlin 99 for Christmas. What a difference quick follow up shots made. I believe I killed most if not all of the jacks in that pasture. We spent many a night with spot lights doing rabbit control on the winter wheat fields. What an improvement a scope is over iron sights for night shooting! I still shoot quite a bit of 22 in both hand gun and rifle.
Rider
Old 11-11-2018, 12:10 PM

Model 67 Winchester was my first very own rifle, still have it. I developed a bad weakness for Winchester 22's for years. I had around 33 at one time, several hard to find ones, a couple that were almost new. I sold a 52 and the guy that bought ended up with the whole collection.

Model 75 and 67 I will always have.