Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-16-2019, 06:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default how long, proper ediquete

how long after someone post they will take an item but you don't hear back from them do you repost the item or move on to a new buyer? pm was sent and a phone message was left and the call was not returned.

this is not on this forum.
thx
Old 06-16-2019, 08:32 AM

Default Thoughts on Courtesy

It just depends... During the week I assume that everyone has access to a computer at their home so worse case is 12-24 hours delay in responses. If it is Friday or later in the weekend then I assume they might be traveling over the weekend, and might not have access to a computer. I would be willing to wait until Monday before I get nervous/antsy. I give extra leeway for holiday weekends.

I think it is fair to line up a second buyer as long as you give them advance notice that there is someone else in a hold pattern. Give them a deadline that if you don't hear from potential 1st buyer then the product is theirs.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:25 PM
Supporting Member

IMHO, if someone wants it bad enough, they should be keeping track and in touch. It's NOT your problem if someone doesn't "take care of business".
Lots of flakes out there. Maybe 48 hours then on to the next guy.
You snooze, you loose. Must not have wanted it bad enough to keep track of the deal.
And, NEVER be surprised if you say "I'll take it" and it gets sold out from under you. A "hand shake and a Gentleman's word" are things of the past. Flakes on both sides and all over the place.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:22 PM

I zero patience and allow zero grace period, myself. Too many flakes to make it my problem.

The item doesn't get marked as gone until I am fairly certain it really is. And "I'll take it" cuts no ice. Money cuts ice. So if someone says "I'll take it", but goes dark and someone else says "here's the money" before I hear from the first guy again, the first guy is out of luck.

- DAA
Old 06-16-2019, 05:55 PM

It can be tough on both sides, as I have been both places.

My phone is my only home source for emails/internet. Phone went haywire and put a buyer and seller on hold. Had a buddy get a hold of both parties.

Put up an “I will take it” on a rifle a few years ago. Got info and sent funds. Two weeks later no response. The old gent had passed away, kids cashed the check, that was a mess.

Some may think buyers or sellers are nerveous when they try to make repeated contact, and get no response. I will give about 24 hours and that is it. I understand this is a busy world, but business is business, nothing personal.

One thing as a buyer that I like to do, take a picture of funds and send to the seller. Then all we have to deal with is the USPS.
Jeff
Old 06-16-2019, 06:09 PM
Supporting Member

When I am buying, if I say I will take it and the seller agrees, he gets paid within an hour. We have basically free Electronic Money Transfer on line to all other Canadians with a Bank account and can send Wires for very low cost online to any country in the world. I expect the same quick pay from anyone seriously wanting to buy. If I accept their offer and hear nothing for more than 8 hours, next guy that steps up gets the deal. I make this clear in the return email, PM when I accept their offer.

On hunting/shooting dedicated sites with trader ratings I have had real good luck. Kijiji, Craig's list etc, there are a ton of bottom feeders and scam artists so guard yourself if dealing there. I will never send money and will only face to face buy when doing deals with non-rated sellers and often purchasers.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-16-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:10 PM

Default certainties

Not to put a ding in our for sale items that many post, but if you are looking for reliability and consistency, perhaps a retailer or someone you already know well is a better bet. Just my 2c. I would say that here I have never had such an experience, though my experience is limited to less than ten transactions or favors for others, I have never been disappointed with anyone here on this forum, maybe this is due to who I was making a deal with or helping. I have had much worse experience elsewhere, so I am cautious.

I would say that after a certain time period, as long as it is stated, then move on to a buyer who has funds sent to you, first actual buyer gets the item. As long as that is clear for the buyers there should never be a problem. I was looking for an L461 action a long wile ago, two deals fell through, no skin off my back. there are other actions out there for me to buy, the stars were just not aligned and it wasn't supposed to happen.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:28 PM

I don't sale a lot....my Spring Cleaning is my first ever. Yesterday, I had a couple of interested parties on a rifle and 1st person that said "I'll take it" was the winner. I informed the other party. Long and short, everything was going forward until buyer got frustrated with his FFL...too much of a hassle and backed out of purchase. Alternate buyer decided to go elsewhere.

It can be frustrating. I might be a little more tolerant toward delays. Wife, kids, work, and an unwillingness to be owned by my phone means that sometimes I don't respond as quickly as others. I tried to keep this in mind that the other side may have similar distractions.

My $0.02
Old 06-16-2019, 08:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

I checked the forums and he has been online as recent as yesterday. I put him on a clock, 8:00 tomorrow it goes to the next buyer. not in a hurry to sell so I don't mind.
thx guys
Old 06-17-2019, 01:28 AM

i've been strung along a few many times to many so i'm quite stern with people and often list that in the ad. Too many tire kickers out there to stress it.

That being said I am more lenient if there's a good line of communication.

But generally speaking 2-3 days top.