Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-14-2019, 12:08 AM

Default Drying Rack/Loading Block

I just started using the wet tumbling system that so many are in favor of. I made my own and it works very well.

The drying issue of the brass I was having were the cases drying, sometimes not very fast, some still had a trace of water in brass or the pocket and some had water marks.

I started using the dryer and that really helped a lot. Put the shoe rack in and I set my brass in a single layer in a stainless basket. However, some still had a trace of moisture after a long high heat drying cycle. So I decided to make a drying rack for the brass to go neck down into.

I tried out my drying rack today and it works great in the dryer. It may work well outside right now since in the Houston area we are having 103*F plus temperatures. Ten minutes on high heat and they're dry inside and out. I think I can reduce the drying time even shorter.

This particular rack will hold 136 pieces of 223, 221 FB, 20 Vartarg, etc. The top and bottom plate is 1/8" aluminum. I taped both plates together and drew my pattern on the tape. I used a small drill to drill all the pilot holes. Separating the plates, I continued to use my drill press for all the holes. By drilling all the pilot holes, everything lined up perfectly. The datum line rests on a hole on the bottom plate and the neck sticks through. I'll be placing some rubber feet on it tomorrow so it does not scare anything.

I can invert the case and the mouth will stand straight up and it can then be used as a loading block. I will probably make a much smaller version and use it for a loading block.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:08 AM

Nice, but that seems to be a lot of work to accomplish what can be done by simply towel drying your brass, then put it in a pan in the oven at around 215 degrees for about 15 minutes, maybe a little longer if I want to load it as soon as it cools down.

It all comes down to "whatever makes ya smile!"
Old 08-14-2019, 01:36 AM

I used to get a fair amount of water spots so I switched to distilled water in my tumbler as well as to rinse with, I don't get the water spots like I used to since I switched to using distilled water.

jimreed1948, is that a Little Crow case trimmer I see in the background??
Old 08-14-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I used to get a fair amount of water spots so I switched to distilled water in my tumbler as well as to rinse with, I don't get the water spots like I used to since I switched to using distilled water.

jimreed1948, is that a Little Crow case trimmer I see in the background??
No it isn't. That's a case holder and driver from Century 21.

Little Crow Case Trimmer. Follow this link; Accurate Shooter Forum. My comment is the first one and further down the page I posted a photo of what it was doing to my brass. Some people really like it. It's not for me.

Last edited by jimreed1948; 08-14-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
No it isn't. That's a case holder and driver from Century 21.

Little Crow Case Trimmer. Follow this link; Accurate Shooter Forum. My comment is the first one and further down the page I posted a photo of what it was doing to my brass. Some people really like it. It's not for me.
From looking at your picture, something was definitely going wrong because the brass never should be spinning inside the bushing. I've used mine quite a bit on a variety of different cartridges and never had my brass come out looking like yours. Sorry to hear your experience was a bad one.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Cheap food dehydrator works wonders
Old 08-14-2019, 04:53 PM

Many ways to do this cheaper, if you want. But, if I had the tools and equipment as Jim does, I would enjoy working and building equipment and stuff as he did with this item.
I guess it is all in what and how we like or enjoy doing things.
I will never fault the person that has and does this type of workmanship and has the talent to do so. Bill K
Old 08-14-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 458win View Post
Cheap food dehydrator works wonders
Yep.....sure does
Old 08-14-2019, 07:08 PM

I used to do the stainless tumbling thing.

Switched to rice and I'll never do stainless again.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:10 PM

Rice? Please elaborate!