Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-19-2019, 04:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

That might be better than trying to pet one.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-19-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
That might be better than trying to pet one.
I've never tried that with a live one. But I did have one jump in my lap once. Scratched me up pretty good clear through all my thick clothing, using my chest for traction to get away. Reckon that coyote never heard a grown man squealing like a little girl before.

Not sure how I managed to roll it up as it ran away, but I did.

- DAA
Old 08-19-2019, 02:47 PM

did someone say it was coyote calling season....don't tease me like that.....
Old 08-19-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRnCO View Post
did someone say it was coyote calling season....don't tease me like that.....
I, one way or the other, call and go after them year round in my area, along with squeeks, rock chuck and rabbits. What ever is available at the time and in my ventures into the sage, pivots and rim rocks. Bill K
Old 08-20-2019, 01:14 PM

And nothing wrong with that Bill, BUT the coyotes in my neck of the woods are worth saving for fur season because of the fur market, so I wait.
A buddy of mine came for a weekend of pdog shooting last month and one morning we had quite a show. Had 6 coyote pups come in and start devouring dead pdogs right in front of us, while we were still shooting. Could've shot every one of em, but just enjoyed the show knowing that there will be a time that they will be my target.
That and plus I truly believe that by leaving the coyote alone all summer ends up equaling better calling come fall/winter.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:28 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRnCO View Post
And nothing wrong with that Bill, BUT the coyotes in my neck of the woods are worth saving for fur season because of the fur market, so I wait.
A buddy of mine came for a weekend of pdog shooting last month and one morning we had quite a show. Had 6 coyote pups come in and start devouring dead pdogs right in front of us, while we were still shooting. Could've shot every one of em, but just enjoyed the show knowing that there will be a time that they will be my target.
That and plus I truly believe that by leaving the coyote alone all summer ends up equaling better calling come fall/winter.

Good post.

Coyotes are still my favorite animal to chase. Growing up, they were a valuable source of extra money when I was young and even after I was married, and they helped finance more than one "needed" rifle.

I still devote time in the winter months to go up north for at least one occasion yearly devoted to coyote calling only. Some of my most memorable coyote adventures in my later life involve ones that entertained as they came to a call but they were never shot due to the entertainment they provided on more than one occasion. I recognize their potential and real danger to livestock, etc. at certain times of the year, but a good healthy managed population of coyotes is indeed a resource to me. I seldom shoot them in south Texas any longer where the fur is useless year around unless they are causing problems for livestock, etc.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 08-20-2019, 04:04 PM

[quote=TRnCO;284073]And nothing wrong with that Bill, BUT the coyotes in my neck of the woods are worth saving for fur season because of the fur m

I fully understand your point and can agree with it. But, in my case, I don't work or use the hides/fur. Just the enjoyment of seeing and calling them. I don't shoot everyone I see, but do work at controlling them so our fawns and young birds can have a better chance of growing up. And it does give me something to hunt year round, so far without tags or season on them. Bill K
Old 08-21-2019, 05:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

BCB/TR:

One big fact of life regardless of time of year.
Killing a few coyotes you sure as hell won't be
denting the population of 'em.

DAA: That's a bit close!

Cousin Bill told me one time he was sitting in the trail cut along a hillside
calling and heard something running up behind him and afraid to look as he might spook something. All at once something heavy and hard hit him on the shoulders and jumped over him like he was a rock. He shot several times before connecting.

Another time he and I were using '06's with my hot 110gr RN loads. Standing behind a big rock about armpit high and 6' across the flat top. We'd seen one coming in thru the weeds but, too thick to see. We both had slipped the safeties off and were ready for it to show. All at once it jumped up on the rock right in front of our muzzles less than 2 feet. Perfect timing, we both fired and blew it back off the rock. Then we had a big laugh while cleaning goo and 'feathers' off each other's face. Wasn't much left of that dogs chest and no 'feathers' left either.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 08-21-2019 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:51 AM

See, somebody DID say coyote .

Too much fun!

- DAA
Old 08-21-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
One big fact of life regardless of time of year.
Killing a few coyotes you sure as hell won't be
denting the population of 'em.
Oh I don't know, I killed 104 last winter, surely that puts a small dent in em, at least on my stomping grounds.