Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Tribute to fallen members

Old 09-11-2015, 03:02 PM

Default Never Forget

9/11
Old 09-11-2015, 07:32 PM

Amen. Never, ever, forget.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:45 AM

14 years ago tonight, I started packing my duffle. All Aircraft were grounded. A few days after, I flew to "ground zero".. I worked in what was called the "green zone". We called it the pile. Later it became the pit. I warmed myself from the heat of structural steel being hauled out of the site. Our breaks were when they discovered remains and everyone went to full respect. The threat of more anthrax was worse than the fire and rubble. It was the most miserable experience I've ever had. I would not trade it for anything I have ever done.
DAMN RIGHT.. I WILL NEVER FORGET! And neither will you.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Supporting Member

The morning of the attack I was working at one of our 2 National Labs that design(ed) our Nuclear weapons. The announcement over the speaker system told us all to calmly pack up our things, safe any equipment we were working on, and to go home. We saw the TV images and safe'd our equipment ( all 9,000 of us) and went home. It was about 10 minutes into my hour drive home that the radio talk made me aware of why we were told to go home, the threat of further attacks were being considered, and our Lab was near the top of a potential hit list. Sort of like a slap in the face when I realized the threat was real, and the fog I was in went away when I started thinking I had better get home to be prepared for whatever might happen if the planes were not the only threat.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago. I was having my yearly "supervisor review" where about 5 "other" supervisors were supposed to meet with me for about half an hour, where I would update them on my year's work and accomplishments, so they could "rank me" against all other Technicians for salary increases. The only Supervisor that came was one of the hundred or so Lab employee's that were rushed to ground zero with chemical detectors and infrared imaging equipment ( all built by us) to help look for survivors and monitor the air to help workers stay safe. Well, he told me since about 6 months after returning home he found it hard to walk stairwells, and found his respratory system had been compromised from "something" and when we met, he was at 45% lung capacity. I offered my view, that instead of working the next 3 years he intended to in order to get better spousal retirement pay, iffin' it were me, I would retire yesterday and spend the rest of my days with my family close. I came to this easy, as I had explained my intentions to retire in about 14 months ( bad idea- missed a decent raise-lol).

I hope what he was exposed to was unique to his being in the mix looking for survivors probably at the buildings, but I have read others suffer similar problems from their efforts.

Thank you to those who served during that time, and EVER, we would not be the great nation we are without your service.

Allen
Old 11-20-2017, 09:49 AM

we never will
Old 11-20-2017, 04:15 PM

RUSTY: I can't agree with You more. But what I can`t understand and it is very hard for me to even tolerate. Is why no one was not held accountable for the unforgivable and inconceivable wrong that was done to Our Country. And Swiftly and Harshly Dealt With. IMHO We as a County showed weakness on the way We handled this attack on Our Country. I for one will never forget, nor will I ever forgive those who are responsible.
ken
Old 11-21-2017, 12:14 PM

never forget... as a queen's ny boy i can't i was there watch the 2nd plane go in an see both buildings come down.. not much one person can do except remind everone over an over.... just maybe the trump train [also born in ny] didn't forget an is trying te best way he can get even..
but then there are the others !