Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2018, 02:54 PM
Supporting Member

Default USPS shipping??

Done it LOTS of times with no issues, till now. Packed up some Fireball brass, USPS Small Flat Rate Box, added the postage, (postage is $7.25) either real early in the AM or real late in the PM when the PO was closed. Headed out of town so I dropped it the box on my way out. Figured no problem, should be there by the first of the week at the latest? Didn't get a tracking number but wasn't too concerned. It'll get there.
Got home from a short road trip and guess what? My package was in MY mail box with a note that I had to take it to the PO???
If you've never read the Postal Regulations you'll never know.
Any package over 13 oz. MUST to go thru the PO and be metered. You can't just drop it in a box. You learn something new every day. I HAVE dropped Flat Rate packages in the box before but I don't think they were too heavy.
The Gal at the PO mentioned something about not enough postage till I shower her the $7.42 postage I put on the package when it only needed $7.25. She didn't say any more about that.
She did me right, stamped the postage, got it metered and even sent me a tracking #. I'll feel better when I check the tracking # and see it's BEEN DELIVERED.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
Done it LOTS of times with no issues, till now. Packed up some Fireball brass, USPS Small Flat Rate Box, added the postage, (postage is $7.25) either real early in the AM or real late in the PM when the PO was closed. Headed out of town so I dropped it the box on my way out. Figured no problem, should be there by the first of the week at the latest? Didn't get a tracking number but wasn't too concerned. It'll get there.
Got home from a short road trip and guess what? My package was in MY mail box with a note that I had to take it to the PO???
If you've never read the Postal Regulations you'll never know.
Any package over 13 oz. MUST to go thru the PO and be metered. You can't just drop it in a box. You learn something new every day. I HAVE dropped Flat Rate packages in the box before but I don't think they were too heavy.
The Gal at the PO mentioned something about not enough postage till I shower her the $7.42 postage I put on the package when it only needed $7.25. She didn't say any more about that.
She did me right, stamped the postage, got it metered and even sent me a tracking #. I'll feel better when I check the tracking # and see it's BEEN DELIVERED.
Been like that since 9/11 or there abouts. Even with a prepaid label, I still take mine to the post office and get a receipt.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:13 PM
Supporting Member

I went to my USPS office yesterday to pick up a marlin labeled Sako L46 stock for my Javalena, and they had to bring it to the counter for me. Shipper used a usps priority label, but cut off the edges that indicated priority and left the red lettering "from". Probably asked by his usps office to make a hand written label while he was shipping it.

My gal called up the other counter worker ( they share, one is usually in the back unless a lot of folks come in) and shows the other what the shipper did. Gal asked, what am I missing that you are pointing to, and she replied " we are supposed to charge the priority rate if someone uses one of our labels". I just shrugged my shoulders, grabbed the package and said thanks, merry Christmas and happy new year in case I don't see you before Christmas, and left.

If they are nitpicking that much, they need to realize they work for us, our taxes pay their wages.

Dang "still working government workers" LOL.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:46 PM
Administrator

We got a new postmaster awhile back. Real by the book guy I hear. And the second in command (at least she thinks she is) has turned into a Nazi $itch. Now to ship guns from the shop we need to have a special form attached. Been using the form for awhile, no issues. I routinely dropped boxes in the drop box inside after hours, with printed out labels and the firearm form taped to the box. No issues until lately. Now it seems ALL firearms have to go to the attendant at the front desk. No more drops. Fine, whatever. But guns aren't all we ship. We dropped a package off (forget what was in it) and The mailman brought it back said we didn't have the firearm form. We said it's not a gun. We ship lots of things that aren't guns. Our postman, who's very Nice said no problem, he'd take care of it. What a pain in the @ss it has become.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:57 PM

We almost never get mail delivery at our house until after 7:30pm in the evening, even if the sun sets at 5:30pm. I think they do deliveries first and then do the residence routes after that. Real P.O.S organization and people, IMO.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
We almost never get mail delivery at our house until after 7:30pm in the evening, even if the sun sets at 5:30pm. I think they do deliveries first and then do the residence routes after that. Real P.O.S organization and people, IMO.
at least you have mail delivered. My podunk town only does PO boxes. worst yet is they give you a damn piece of paper to pick up your packages and god forbid there isn't a paper your not getting your stuff! I cant tell you how many times I see stuff delivered 5-6am via tracking and I go in around 10am and nope still not there.

1 time I bought a new stroller with 2 day shipping to use on a zoo trip we had planned. it was there before 6am I went it around 9 and asked politely if I could have my package that it shows it was scanned in at such in such time that I need it for a family outing.... they told me to pound sand that they have till 11am to get all mail into the boxes. needless to say I didn't get my stroller till the following monday (it was a friday, they only hand out packages from 10-11:30 on saturdays (no regular mail) and since it was bulky they didn't put it in a keyed locker) I asked them that I wanted a refund on my 2 day shipping. told them if they cant deliver then they shouldn't charge me since they refused to give me my package. they were like we cant do that. Wonder why the have a 1 1/2 out of 5 star rating on google. Just garbage! sorry for the rant.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:35 AM

I CAN NOT receive mail at my home EVER or until I no longer have a dog, 14 years ago my then 10 month old English Setter greeted the mail man with an excited bark, we frequently had both setters mom and son out with us in the front yard they never wandered and knew all the neighbors, this day my son who should not of had the dogs out while working on his car did not see the mailman coming, the mailman warned my son, we did not think much of it other than ask my son what were you thinking, two days later dip stick son had the dogs out front again and again the pup barked and supposedly jump on the mailman who HAD to use his bag to defend himself and pepper sprayed him too just in case........ we received a letter explaining that our mail service would be PERMENTLY discontinued until we could prove that we no longer owned ANY dog that was the last piece of mail delivered

We did challenge this to no avail, we even brought up that the two mailmen that we had reported teasing the dogs at or front window wife even recorded on a video camera one walking across the front porch poking a finger at the dogs through the window and making a comment ah ah ah .... The supervisor responded yep he is a mouthy one, The other one would stop on the porch standing in front of the window while the dogs barked endlessly, sorting the mail for the next 2 houses we only have 7 on the block, That complaint was dismissed also by the supervisor, to this day I have protested this problem many times even wrote Postmaster General, turns out the supervisor still works there and apparently just doesn't like me? I even had to go to the next zip code across the freeway to even have a PO Box

Funny thing in the following years the two setters liked anyone and everyone but the mailman, I wonder why

So now my only solos is when ever we get a new or substitute mail carrier (PC I am now) that decides to cut through my front yard and flowerbed I greet them with a friendly YOU WONT DELIVER MAIL TO ME DONT TRESSPASS ON MY PROPERTY, I may have stated that sternly once or twice.

The PO Box BS about not delivering until the NEXT day is real BS the package is there....... but I'm stuck with the PO BOX Queen !!

How's that for a rant !!

PS
I now have a WEREWOLF protecting my house at least she thinks she is, just a 75Lb German Shepard puppy...... they don't come back
Old 12-14-2018, 03:44 AM

Last week I ordered a few things on line. Needed some lathe tooling, ordered a stock and another item, all shipped to KC Ks.
Minnesota, Illinois,Iowa. Minnesota came UPS, Illinois was Fedex and Iowa USPS. Minnesota shipped 2nd and showed up first, Illinois shipped first, showed up second. Iowa shipped the same day Minnesota did, yet showed up three days later. Iowa was the closest, used USPS and was the slowest, go figure.

Buddy I spoke to noted same result, mailed a letter with funds for an item, took five days to get there. Item sent after payment, arrived the next day at his door step, UPS.
I see it only gets worse till after Christmas.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Supporting Member

The issue I had was the fact that I couldn't drop the package with the proper postage in the drop box. And NO I don't read the Postal Regulations!! I wonder just how many have.
The topper? My package was scanned just at 3:00 PM. That's around the time our mail goes out. The Gal must have got the scan thing going (she was having problems with the machine) and dropped it in the out going mail just as they hit the door. This was on the 11 th. Package got to Oregon and was delivered on the 13 th. in the AM. All's well that ends well.
I have mailed Certified Registered papers to the SF bay area, had them end up in Southern California then come all the way back to where it was suppose to be delivered. Only took 3 days. And, some days we don't get ANY mail delivery. Some folks just don't want to work.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:20 PM
Supporting Member

Default Offspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEM View Post
I CAN NOT receive mail at my home EVER or until I no longer have a dog, 14 years ago my then 10 month old English Setter greeted the mail man with an excited bark, we frequently had both setters mom and son out with us in the front yard they never wandered and knew all the neighbors, this day my son who should not of had the dogs out while working on his car did not see the mailman coming, the mailman warned my son, we did not think much of it other than ask my son what were you thinking, two days later dip stick son had the dogs out front again and again the pup barked and supposedly jump on the mailman who HAD to use his bag to defend himself and pepper sprayed him too just in case........ we received a letter explaining that our mail service would be PERMENTLY discontinued until we could prove that we no longer owned ANY dog that was the last piece of mail delivered

We did challenge this to no avail, we even brought up that the two mailmen that we had reported teasing the dogs at or front window wife even recorded on a video camera one walking across the front porch poking a finger at the dogs through the window and making a comment ah ah ah .... The supervisor responded yep he is a mouthy one, The other one would stop on the porch standing in front of the window while the dogs barked endlessly, sorting the mail for the next 2 houses we only have 7 on the block, That complaint was dismissed also by the supervisor, to this day I have protested this problem many times even wrote Postmaster General, turns out the supervisor still works there and apparently just doesn't like me? I even had to go to the next zip code across the freeway to even have a PO Box

Funny thing in the following years the two setters liked anyone and everyone but the mailman, I wonder why

So now my only solos is when ever we get a new or substitute mail carrier (PC I am now) that decides to cut through my front yard and flowerbed I greet them with a friendly YOU WONT DELIVER MAIL TO ME DONT TRESSPASS ON MY PROPERTY, I may have stated that sternly once or twice.

The PO Box BS about not delivering until the NEXT day is real BS the package is there....... but I'm stuck with the PO BOX Queen !!

How's that for a rant !!

PS
I now have a WEREWOLF protecting my house at least she thinks she is, just a 75Lb German Shepard puppy...... they don't come back
Is your son adopted ?