Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2019, 12:17 AM

Default Best .17 Caliber Cleaning Rod?

I know this topic has been discussed but I did not locate it.
Suggestions: Most durable?
Thanks!
Jim
Old 07-01-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiochuck View Post
I know this topic has been discussed but I did not locate it.
Suggestions: Most durable?
Thanks!
Jim
The most durable is going to be a one piece uncoated stainless. I prefer them over any coated rod as well, for being easy on the bore. A few weeks ago when aligning the reticle of a scope on my No. 1, I placed a level with an aluminum base on the side of the receiver. It skidded slightly, causing a very fine scratch in the blueing. Evidently, even though I had wiped the level, something had embedded in the aluminum. I place aluminum, other soft metal, and coated rods in the same group..ones I won't use because abrasives can embed in them.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:56 AM

If they are the Best or not, who can say. But I have a Hoppe's and a Tipton, carbon rod/s. They both work very good and do the job for me in my 17 calibers. I should add I also have a Pro Shot SS rod for my 20 Cal and it is a good one also to check out. Bill K

Last edited by Bill K; 07-01-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:11 AM

I also prefer the uncoated SS cleaning pods. Look at Pro Shot line of rods. Make sure the thread size and M/F threads of the jags and brushes, as they vary between the various diameters and makers.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:30 AM

Pro-shot is my choice
Old 07-01-2019, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillySniper View Post
Pro-shot is my choice
Pro-Shot is also my first choice, BUT, sometimes you might have to buy others, if you need some kind of length/caliber rod that Pro-Shot, or some others do not make.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:43 AM
Supporting Member

I use to be pro-shot but have been much better off with Neil Jones rodd. Some day ivy makes a good one also

Last edited by GLWenzl; 07-01-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:37 PM
Supporting Member

I will not use any Carbon fibre rod, especially real small diameter ones. Far too many serious injuries from them letting go. If you have ever seen a carbon fibre fishing rod, arrow or golf shaft let go, just visualize that same thing with your cleaning rod. I know they are popular but not for me.

I still use predominantly Dewey rods. They are easy to get up here, last well and work well. I use the 1 rod on the 20 and even the 22 caliber guns so I only have to pack one rod on a gopher expedition.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:24 PM

To cause a carbon cleaning rod to explode or break, as a arrow, fishing rod would do, you would really have to totally abuse and miss use it. Been using carbon rods and Stainless for as long as they have been on the market and yet to have a issue with either. Now the old aluminum one's, yes they bend out of shape very easy, even if you are careful, never use them, for sure. Bill K
Old 07-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Supporting Member

While on a PD shoot in the Texas panhandle maybe 10 years ago, a friend was cleaning a 17 caliber rifle with a Tipton rod and it shattered and broke. He was using no more force than necessary to get a 17 caliber brush through a bore. He definitely was not using it in a manner that could be defined as him in any way forcing it in any manner to "totally abuse and miss use it".

Fortunately the front end of the brush had just barely cleared the muzzle so he was able to pull it on through the barrel with some pliers on the tip of the brush, and there no damage done to the rifle.

Aluminum bends and fiber glass shatters............ Weaknesses in both types of rods.

I like the stainless ProShot rods with the easy spin handles for small calibers........ But that's just me.........

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine