Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-22-2019, 02:26 AM

Default ???Dakota Predator in 20VT

Searching for info/current value on the Dakota Predator in 20VT. I have read that some had Lilja barrels and others were Douglas(non-air gaged). Also read that some had Jewell triggers and others had Rifle Basics. I also understand that the "Predator" is no longer made. I have a chance to purchase one at a "reasonable" price...the wood is nice...not spectacular, but nice grain...does have a couple of "dings" on left side, other than those, it is perfect, it appeared to have the Jewel trigger, supposed to only have had at most 150 rounds fired. Does anyone know what twist rate they used in the 20VT and what the chamber/neck was?(thinking Lapua brass here). What would a good price be for what I have described? I have seen a couple for sale at some fairly high prices...just want an idea. Thanks in advance for replies.

Gene
Old 07-22-2019, 02:44 AM

Default 20 VarTarg Dakota

One of our members has one that I sold him. Maybe he will come along and chime in. The records I kept at that time included only load data so I can’t help with throat or twist rate.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 07-22-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
One of our members has one that I sold him. Maybe he will come along and chime in. The records I kept at that time included only load data so I can’t help with throat or twist rate.
Thanks Gary, with them being discontinued and this one being in 99% condition, what would a good price be now?

Gene
Old 07-22-2019, 11:00 AM

Default Dakota Predator 20VT

Gene

I have a Predator chambered in 20 VT. I am using 221 Laupa formed brass without turning necks. The Predator was replaced with the Varminter by Dakota Arms. I thing when Remington purchased Dakota the Predator line was replaced.

Do not know the twist rate The only bullets I have used are my old inventory of 33 gr Vmax

All the Predators I have seen for sale have serial numbers under PRO 1000, so I don't think many were made. So the trade market is thin on these rifles.

Maybe Smoking Joe will jump in, he know a lot more than I do on these rifles

Glenn
Old 07-22-2019, 11:17 AM

Thanks Glenn. Do you happen to know who the barrel manufacturer is and does yours have a Jewel trigger or Rifle Basics?

Gene
Old 07-22-2019, 11:22 AM

Default Predator 20VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
Thanks Glenn. Do you happen to know who the barrel manufacturer is and does yours have a Jewel trigger or Rifle Basics?

Gene
My 20VT does not have a Jewel trigger. Do not know the barrel manufacturer. The Predators I own were all purchased used.

I have a 20 Tactical purchased from a forum member here with a Jewel trigger, but he installed the trigger after purchase

Glenn
Old 07-22-2019, 11:51 AM

If it has the Lilja barrel it will be a Three Groove 12 Twist. If it has the Douglas it will be a 6 groove barrel 12 Twist. Most all of the first Predators had Lilja barrels. My friend has about 6 of them in different caibers. His 17 TAC and 20 TAC shoot with the best of them. The little 20 Vartarg shoots amazing too!
Old 07-22-2019, 01:06 PM

Default Dakota Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
Thanks Gary, with them being discontinued and this one being in 99% condition, what would a good price be now?

Gene
Hi Gene,
I still own only one - a 20 PPC with a 9 twist Lilja barrel that was a custom order for me.

I understood that it would come with a Jewel trigger but it arrived with a Rifle Basics trigger. This was precisely when Dakota was entering bankruptcy and I was VERY happy when the rifle was virtually smuggled out for delivery to me! Needless to say I did not argue about the trigger as I was happy not to have lost the cost of the rifle including the upcharges for the Lilja barrel and the Special Selection English walnut stock with custom checkering. I purchased a Jewel trigger to retrofit but the Rifle Basics trigger was so finely tuned that the Jewel trigger is still in the box!

I believe that the gent I sold the 20 VarTarg to has several Dakotas and can likely answer your questions. I have not seen any of these sell for quite some time so I cannot help with the current value. In my opinion, they are excellent rifles and I doubt you will be unhappy with the rifle.

Needless to say that I regret selling the 20 VarTarg given that they are out of production. I say buy it while you can!

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 07-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Supporting Member

i had one and sold to Phil who i believe has a few when i ordered mine the Jewel trigger was an option.

ML
Old 07-22-2019, 01:42 PM

The individual said he ordered it when they first came out with them...I believe he got the 20PPC and 6BR at the same time he got the 20VT...ordered all 3 together...so, these should be the early models and if I remember, the trigger was a satin/silver which should indicate it is a jewel trigger. I am going to look it over again now that I know a little more about them. It seems the 20VT brings a premium...found one listed for sale at +$3600...the 204's, 223's and such seem to range from $2000 to $2600 from what I have seen listed for sale. It is priced VERY nice and with the exception of the couple of dings in the stock, it is in 99% condition.

Gene