Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Supporting Member

Default Bullet making setup

I have enjoyed the threads Stephen started about bullet making and have learnt a lot.

I'm sure some of us would appreciate it if some of the bullet makers can post some photos of their bullet making setup, with an explanation as to why they have set things up the way they have, ie bench height, depth, style of press, position of press etc........Kiwi
Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 AM

Kiwi when you come over the ditch next time to Coffs Harbour I will show you two projectile making setups here.
Pete
Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Supporting Member

Pete, I'm hoping to be over next year.......I'll be at the NSW champs in August.

Well either no one reading these bullet making threads makes bullets or they don't know how to take a photo and post it

Perhaps bullet makers don't want to give away too many secrets.......Kiwi
Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
Well either no one reading these bullet making threads makes bullets or they don't know how to take a photo and post it
Quite frankly my set-up is embarrassing at the moment and far from ideal. Looks more like I've applied the 20-80 rule instead of the 80-20 rule.

It comes down to what sort of space you have to work with really.

My BSS press is mounted on a plywood box on the work bench at 20 deg to the horizontal about 1.3m high.

The Lee is mounted on an aluminium adaptor plate straight to the bench as well, at same hieght at the BSS.

The Mega-Mite sits on a free-standing steel pedistal I made out of some scrap plate and a PFC, at about the 1.3m mark again. It could be a bit higher given the length of its handle.

I'd really like to mount the A&D FX-120i scales on a seperate concrete piller, but they will have to live the bench as well for the moment.

Last edited by aaronraad; 05-17-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronraad View Post
Quite frankly my set-up is embarrassing at the moment and far from ideal. Looks more like I've applied the 20-80 rule instead of the 80-20 rule.

It comes down to what sort of space you have to work with really.

My BSS press is mounted on a plywood box on the work bench at 20 deg to the horizontal about 1.3m high.

The Lee is mounted on an aluminium adaptor plate straight to the bench as well, at same hieght at the BSS.

The Mega-Mite sits on a free-standing steel pedistal I made out of some scrap plate and a PFC, at about the 1.3m mark again. It could be a bit higher given the length of its handle.

I'd really like to mount the A&D FX-120i scales on a seperate concrete piller, but they will have to live the bench as well for the moment.
I can't see any beginning bullet maker ending up at the perfect setup in a short space of time, but what I was hoping for was some pictures and reasons why bullet makers have arrived at their present setup and also what they found unsuitable and why.

With this input from every bullet maker perhaps the newbie might avoid some mistakes or find an easier way to setup some things.

One setup or way of doing things will not work for everyone........but perhaps everyone will get something useful from the input........especially those that don't have access to a mentor.

aaronraad what is your name I know a few BR shooters in Brisbane and have competed on the Harry Madden range several times over the last 12 years or so............Kiwi
Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 AM

Kiwi
I will work on a picture display of my bullet making dispensory. Also an amateur video of my shop. Ooye.

Stephen Perry
Old 05-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks Stephen you started some very relevant threads on bullet making and have probably helped some starting bullet makers enormously, after all not every new bullet maker will have a mentor.

These threads may also encourage some to start bullet making and give them a starting point along with some valuable information to help them on their way.

Quite a while ago you started a thread on bullet making on another forum, and the thread disappeared (don't know why) but the forum owner saved what he could and I have that info in pdf format. Due to mentioning that in another thread on here I've sent that file (even though it has some gaps and is incomplete) along with some other info I had to numerous members on here. I'm sure they are all grateful for the info.........Kiwi
Old 05-19-2013, 12:49 AM

Kiwi
Pure jealosy killed that other Thread on bullet making when Wilbur pulled the plug claiming a mistake on his part. When he recovered the Thread that I was the author and active instigator of allot of the subjects discussed, I am not mentioned but my writings are there with no Poster mentioned, go figure. That bullet making Thread was the largest most posted on Thread ever started on BRC. I like the Small Caliber Thread better. All I care about is the new bullet makers here learn from the veteran bullet makers on Small Caliber. The Thread here is better organized and stays on subject.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-19-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 AM

Personally I enjoy the threads, takes lots of notes in a composition notebook.

I have noticed that I am now getting less rejects and tighter tolerances.

So keep it up!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
One setup or way of doing things will not work for everyone........but perhaps everyone will get something useful from the input........especially those that don't have access to a mentor.
Part of the trick is to keep things flexible. Timber and screws are much more forgiving than steel and welds.

Will you be cutting cores from spools or lengths of lead wire? How you handle the lead determines how quickly and accurately you can cut cores.

If I didn't show my wife pictures from Precision Ballistics website I don't think I would have received her blessing to get started.