Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 06-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA
Default Thanks Mike...

I have tried about everything. It still shoots well, for about 20 rounds, then it is all coppered up again. i have been cleaning it with Patchout, using accelerator. It cleans up easily, I guess, but you can feel the barrel is rough. I have even tried to hand lap the barrel with JB's, followed by flitz. I lov ethe rifle, and the chambering, so I am goign to have it re-barreled with a custom barrel. I just have to find the right one, at the right price. I have time to shop, there are enough rifles now to do what I need

I formed up some of this brass using a 222 die to push back the shoulder, then annealed, then took the necks down using my bobcat bushing die...IIRC, last step was a FL pass with a 17rem die, annealed again. I ff them with a starting load of varget, and a 25 gr HP, never checked to see accuracy, as it was in the cruddy barrel, they look nice, I plan on doing a clean up neck turn on them when I get interested in this rifle again(new barrel)

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 06-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Supporting Member

After reading this thread. I'm glad I ordered a 17-223. Very easy forming and I need all the easy I can get.
Bill
Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

Bill,

Don't get scared away. I didn't learn to form that brass because it was a necessity, it was the challenge, and the desire to learn, and the ongoing quest for accuracy.

That way, when I buy or build something that is, o9r has a complicated forming process, i have a better grasp of what to do, and how to do it. I'm learning something new here every time I sign on...keeps it interesting(not that rifles aren't interesting)

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office