Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 01-16-2011, 10:35 AM

It never occurred to me that the cores might get loose from tumbling but you are right, the core is tapered.

My way of thinking (and thinking hurts my head) is that after core seating most of the remaing lube is pushed to the base of the jacket and it somehow needs to be redistributed over the jacket prior to pointing up. I guess the best way would probably just mix around with your hand in the container before pointing.

This whole bullet swaging thing is causing this old 55 yr old to think way too much!

JD
Old 01-16-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Wa View Post
JD,

Lube the jackets before core seating. Putting the cored jackets in a tumbler can cause problems since the jackets are tapered, the cores can come out even after being pressed in. Because of the constant banging around they can become loose and fall out. After pointing the cores are really locked in place.

Make sure when your seating the core that you place them in a clean container before pointing. CLEANLINESS is the watchword. Anything getting on the jackets after lubing will end up inside the pointing die and abrasives cut better with lube.

Steve
Steve,

Have you actually had cores fall out after you have seated them in jackets?
The reason I ask is, I yet have to experience that although I haven't been making bullets that long and I make 118gr 30 cal bullets. I do lube them in a tumbler before pointing up, that being said a couple of my friends that make competition 6mm bullets don't lube before pointing up but, they are using carbide dies as well. One of them is making about 14,000/wk and the other about 3,000/wk. I could see if the bullets were put into a tumbler that had paddles in it were the bullets would be falling when reaching a certain arch in the process. I put my bullets into a jacket pail that I fit into the tumbler drum, they are just slidding around, not falling.

Dan
Old 01-16-2011, 11:03 PM

Dan,

I have. I was making some .308 138's on 1.08" jackets and decided there wasn't enough lube on them so I dumped 1000 into the tumbler with more lube. 15 minutes later, I opened the drum and found 10 - 20 cores had came out. So before pointing I had to look inside to make sure they had a core while I pointed up. I also found out that it is possible to point up an empty jacket.

I think it would depend on the size of the tumbler, how full it was, the weight of the cores, and the length of time they were tumbled would factor into that equation. Since I would rather play it safe, I lube the jackets before seating the core, then point up.

Steve

PS: Both of my tumblers have flat sides inside and they get a lot of action inside.

Last edited by Steve in Wa; 01-16-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Is there a preference in lube types due the die being carbide or steel? I know that carbide needs less lube than steel, but should I use a different lube for steel than I would for carbide?

JD
Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 PM

I tumble all my core seated jackets before pointing up. If cores are loosening up during this step, the core seating pressure is suspect.

Good shootin'. -Al
Old 01-19-2011, 01:05 AM

Default JD

My jacket lube is a 3:1 mixture of anhydrous lanolin and vaseline. Heat both up and blend together. I store the lube in film containers.

I usually lube 600 seated core jackets at a time. I use a gallon square jar and shake and roll them for 15 minutes. I do 600 because that fills 3 bullet boards.

Lanoline and castor bean oil would work fine also.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR
Old 01-19-2011, 10:54 AM

Default Stephen

I tried 3:1 lanolin and neetsfoot oil just recently on some 1" j4's and I really think they pointed-up easier than the castor oil mixture. I'll give your vasoline mixture a try.

I was swaging some 162gr LT's as I don't have external punches small enough for any lighter weight bullets for this jacket yet. I originally purchased 8S dies with punches for heavier wt bullets using longer J4 and Sierra jackets but now would like to try some in the 116-125 range. I'm also looking for a used 30BR but haven't found one yet. Could you (or anyone for that matter) advise what dia external punch your using for core seating using the 1" J4? I know the ID of the die plays into this also, but just wanted to know in the ballpark.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Board Sponsor

Well if you core seat with a core smaller than the length of the jacket, it should never be able to fall out since the portion with the core in it will be slightly bigger than the entry of the jacket, unless your seating stem is the same OD as the jacket ID. In making .14-.20 cal bullets all my dies from Corbin cause this effect. I can see if you are making SP bullets with a long SP that extends out of the jacket, but otherwise I too suspect your seating pressure is just a little too light.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com