Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Supporting Member

Congratulations Paul, that was very resourceful. I certainly hope they shoot for you. Any reasons for the lube on the cast bullet?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:24 PM

Thanks, ray h

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Any reasons for the lube on the cast bullet?
Nope. That's just a bullet I have prepped for loading in my .45-70. I just grabbed something to make the picture. When I post the photo essay, I'll be more careful in my composition and explanation. I suppose I should also point out that the Lee mould doesn't throw the Postell bullet with a gas-check heel . A buddy of mine made a small, hand-operated lathe for me to turn GC heels on bullets that don't have 'em.

I too hope these "shoot", and there's always the possibility that they won't. However, I'm not too particular. If I can keep them all in a 6" circle at 300 yds, (using open sights), I'll be very happy. I can do that with Northwest Custom Projectile's 500s in this rifle. Also, when I first conceived of the idea of using magnum cases for bullet jackets, I made up a bunch of them and tried them out. It was a very crude process of manufacture without a swage die, and they still shot into less than 2" at 100 yds from this rifle. If you think about it, there are folks here that shoot groups smaller than the diameter of this bullet! Fifty caliber, at least this one, wasn't made for sub-MOA precision. (Not that I wouldn't like to have it. ) If I wanted that level of precision, I'd have mounted 'scope bases instead of an express rear sight and a front post.

Paul
Old 09-11-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulskvorc View Post
swage .510" bullets in a reloading press.

7) Polish.

Could you explain how you polished the inside of the die you made? Did you make a positive version of the hole and then lap with polish, did you just insert crocus cloth and spin it? This seems to be the hardest part of what you're describing.

Thanks,

LUP
Old 09-11-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Did you make a positive version of the hole and then lap with polish,
I did, but that was tedious, and didn't work any better than:

Quote:
just insert crocus cloth and spin it?
What I ended up doing was wrapping a 16 ga. "wool" chamber mop with crocus paper and pressing it into the spinning swage. This formed to the "chamber" easier and well enough to get the polish you see on the bullet in the picture. Getting an adequate polish isn't as difficult as it might seem. If you don't take too big a bite with the reamer, (advance only about 0.020" between clearing chips), it provides a fairly smooth finish. It still needs polishing, but again, not as much as you might think.

Here is the result of using the actual bullet I posted above (the one on the left) - he went about 7 body lengths...

Paul

Last edited by paulskvorc; 09-11-2008 at 04:16 PM.