Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-03-2018, 02:16 AM
Supporting Member

Default 17 fireball brass

I lucked out and got some of 17 Fireball brass when Cabelas had it in stock a couple months ago.

Tom
Old 12-03-2018, 02:48 AM

I thought I saw some in there a while back. I try to stay out of there any more, about two people I will deal with in there.

Tom, I am sure we have crossed paths at some time but just can't put a face to the name. I have been doing business at Winchester gun shop since the mid to late 80's. Pretty sure I paid for some college and weddings for David. I probably have some of your rifles.

Jeff
Old 12-03-2018, 11:59 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I thought I saw some in there a while back. I try to stay out of there any more, about two people I will deal with in there.

Tom, I am sure we have crossed paths at some time but just can't put a face to the name. I have been doing business at Winchester gun shop since the mid to late 80's. Pretty sure I paid for some college and weddings for David. I probably have some of your rifles.

Jeff
For sure been dealing with David for many years. We both been contributing to his wealth. we will run into one another I betcha.

Tom
Old 12-04-2018, 03:18 AM

Been whacking coyotes for many years with my 17 FB XP-100 handgun--fact is I just got one today. 25 v-max has worked for me great to about 250 yds. pushing it to 300ish. Killed a bobcat couple years ago at 350, although I wasn't crazy about taking that shot--had a good spotter who told me I oughtta'.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:38 AM

I think it was Midway that I bought 2 100 piece bags of brass a few months ago. It comes p a few times a year.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:12 AM

17FB was my first centerfire 17 and I love it. Currently using imr4198 and 25 vmax and I am very pleased with the combo.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:09 AM

One of the LGS had a bag of 17 FB a week ago when I was there. If you like, send me a PM and I'll send you their info. or I can check this weekend when I get back into town.

BL
Old 12-11-2018, 06:36 PM

Steve, don't see much of you anymore, unless you have different "handles". Got some 6.5x55 brass from you quite a few years back. I think Don was still with us, been a while. I just ran across some of his letters and info I got from him years ago. Never was fortunate enough to have shaken hands with him but did talk on the phone and write some.
I have an XP action, that has been setting idle for to long. I am up in the air as to what to build. I have a pile of 55-70 grain 6mm bullets. I favor the 6-223/6TCU. I have not ruled out a 6-204. Though a 20VT has crossed my thoughts also.

Ben, thanks for the offer and help. I have 50 pieces now and found some 221 I had from another project. I have necked down 10 pieces thus far with no issues,knock on wood.

I may just get some from one of the outfits that has made some up from LC brass.
Got the barrel yesterday. Put it on the action last night. Think headspace is ok, but I am gonna start over again and redo it.

Going to have to slow down a bit till I get some rat hole money stored back up. My German wirehair girl dog had an emergency trip to the vet. That tapped me out for a while. Not complaining mind you, I would have sold a pile of stuff if I had to in order to keep her healthy! Just as soon take a beating as to have my pup have issues, no pup anymore she is going to be 9.
Jeff
Old 12-22-2018, 11:08 PM

Finally got to the range for a short while.
17FB barrel installed onto a Savage action and scope in place. I had made up all 50 of the 221 brass into 17FB with out a problem. Loaded 15 up with some 20 grain HP and 8208. All went well for a change a few clicks of windage and elevation and I was in good shape for now. The straight feed magazine did not cooperate, new this going in. It does feed pretty good single shot though. Going to have to tinker with the ejector, may completely remove it.

Savage 17WSM B mag, I swapped stocks. Removed the worthless factory Tupperware and replaced it with a Boyds tactical varmint stock. Had to do a bit of sanding to get the burrs in the wood smoothed up so the escunchions from the plastic would fit properly. Action torqued down everything went well. It made a big difference in the groups for sure. More tinkering later, but accuracy with 20grain ammo was acceptable, good not great but it shows promise. Swapping stocks did not effect POI as much as I suspected it might, a few clicks and I was good.
Coyotes in the back yard, so the CZ527 22 Hornet went along for the ride today also. It shot better today than I recall it doing prior to this for some reason. Ran three loads, three different powders and bullets, cleaning out some odds and ends. All shot well and all shot in their own groups of nice tight clusters.
I swapped a beautiful Savage for the CZ, knowing the twist were different. The CZ absolutely does not like my cast bullet load I had for the savage, key holes badly. I may just have to give in and buy a lighter mold. I had an excellent load worked up for the Savage that ran a 50 grain bullet at 1030-105FPS and was MOA or less from 25-100. I hope the CZ will cooperate in time.

The 17 FB is an absolute hoot to shoot. I am now pondering if I really leaped before I looked in ordering the 17 Remington barrel. My plan and thoughts, the 17FB for 20 grainers and the 17 Remington for 25's. Go for pure accuracy while chasing speed.
If the 17WSM will come fairly close to the 17HH CZ 527, I will go to the WSM just to keep from chasing brass. Loading doesn't bother me, losing a goodly amount of brass in the field is a PITA.

Thanks to all for help and input thus far. Looking forward to more.
Jeff
Old 12-23-2018, 01:36 AM

Hey Jeff, looks like your projects doing well. Have fun with it sir. Wished you could've met Don, he was a hoot, no doubt. Sharp guy with a great sense of humor. Of all the predator rigs I use that rear grip XP 17 FB is my favorite.