Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Supporting Member

Early on I bought a bunch of factory ammo to shoot & several thousand factory bullet when they had them cheap & in stock. My intention was to reload them...eventually. Recently I came across a decent deal at a LGS on more factory ammo but with nickel cases so bought all they had. So it may be a while longer before I start reloading. (Consequently no source of brass here. )

I would like to try some longer & lighter bullets eventually because I can but like you said...to my surprise the factory ammo & bullets have performed admirably for my needs & have given me many giggles. My kids fight over it.

Hence, since I have it, have a crazy busy work/travel schedule, I just don't seem to take the time to reload.

As far as feeding...that is my only complaint. I have destroyed 2 different magazines trying to get them to feed...no joy & basically gave up. That darn short bottleneck is tougher to work with in the CZ magazines than you'd think. So I just have a SSA & call it good. Like I said it never gets hot with as fast as I can load it...which is slower than with a functioning repeater. Oh well...I have so much fun with it as a walk-about-rifle I just don't seem to care as much as I used to.

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO

Last edited by TOU; 03-17-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:08 PM

https://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/west/

seems to have a good selection of TCM supplies

I found brass else where at 40.00 for 200 new but I think its gone now, so far mine really shoots H4198 35 gr v max and 50 gr TNTs very well with several one hole groups of 5 at the indoor range 25 yards max, still waiting for the outdoor range to dry out. I ended up with a MGM 15" barrel 1-12 twist
Old 03-17-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEM View Post
... so far mine really shoots H4198 35 gr v max and 50 gr TNTs very well with several one hole groups of 5 at the indoor range 25 yards max, still waiting for the outdoor range to dry out. I ended up with a MGM 15" barrel 1-12 twist
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SEM, is that in a Contender or Encore? Did you chronograph any of those loads? Seems I tried IMR 4198 and H4198 early on with really slow velocities compared to LilGun. Shoot whatever you want, but LilGun makes me smile with this one.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SEM, is that in a Contender or Encore? Did you chronograph any of those loads? Seems I tried IMR 4198 and H4198 early on with really slow velocities compared to LilGun. Shoot whatever you want, but LilGun makes me smile with this one.
Contender 15" H4198 is on the slow side but the accuracy is great, I did try LilGun and do not have the same accuracy in 35 gr and 50gr but it does work very well with 40gr Vmax, I have used several other powders also with varying results
Old 02-23-2021, 05:20 AM
Supporting Member

Been a while, I'm curious if anyone had tried the Accurate TCM powder?

https://www.accuratepowder.com/produ...25&product=TCM

https://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-co...d_data_TCM.pdf

Did anyone else experiment with a 22 TCM rifle since the last post?

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO

Last edited by TOU; 02-23-2021 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:13 PM
Supporting Member

No 22 TCM but I did build a "20 TCM" Wildcat. Got another stash of 22 TCM brass after I sold my last batch. The ?? had come up about annealing plated brass? The listings for TCM brass for sale shows it's silver but from Ammo Supple Warehouse, it IS in fact BRASS!
Got a custom cut reamer, custom made seater and full length dies from Whidden.
Got ammo loaded with 40 Grain Berger VLD bullets. They just look COOL!! Better looking than the round nose bullets I've seen in the TCM ammo.
I had a batch of bulk Remington round nose bullets and to my surprise, they shot real good so looks can be deceiving.
No range work yet but the thought is getting stronger.
Built mine on a Savage modified single shot lefty action with a straight pipe. (I shoot it right handed) Don't expect much if any movement/recoil on firing with a 15+ pound bench rig.
Only issue is feeding. You have to point the round UP and INTO the chamber before thinking about closing the bolt. An XP 100 action build would cure that problem, just wish they were left handed.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:35 AM
Supporting Member

Mike, that sounds awesome! A tad heavy for a walk-about though. That said, I've only shot the factory HP's which really do well and are more accurate than I would have thought. But...you are very limited on the selection of projectiles, especially if maintaining the pistol shooting capabilities. I have the same issues trying to make a repeater...I wrecked to CZ mags trying. I've decided to live with it as it's mainly a walk-about for me. (Wished I was smart enough to make the factory rifles magazines work.)

BTW, I really do like the thoughts of a 20 TCM...maybe even better than a 22 TCM for many critters...more range and faster too I imagine. What kind of speeds are you seeing? Curious, what twist did you go with?

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO

Last edited by TOU; 02-27-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:21 PM
Supporting Member

I don't use a Chrony. Did one time but too much trouble to set up and deal with so it stays in the box. My 5 shot groups can be covered with a dime so I'am on a roll.
And my targets, alive or dead, can't tell how fast the bullets are going anyway so I don't bother checking FPS.
I bench shoot so weight isn't a factor when I build a rig. The heavier the better. If the rigs get too heavy, I'll hire a Gun bearer.
Twist? Been too long but I think 10 or 12??

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 02-25-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
I don't use a Chrony. Did one time but too much trouble to set up and deal with so it stays in the box. My 5 shot groups can be covered with a dime so I'am on a roll.
And my targets, alive or dead, can't tell how fast the bullets are going anyway so I don't bother checking FPS.
I bench shoot so weight isn't a factor when I build a rig. The heavier the better. If the rigs get too heavy, I'll hire a Gun bearer.
My next up for sale item, I used it two maybe three times after my free one died almost 20 years ago used it maybe five times, would of been a better story if I had at least shot it once
Old 02-25-2021, 02:41 PM

Once upon a time there was quite a bit of messing around on the site with very short rounds on the 223 case head. Rounds down to 3/4 case length in 17 thru 22 and others as well I am sure.

Something handy that cropped up then was the use of the Redding form dies set (die one and two) for 221 from 223. By grinding the base off the dies a little bit, it was very easy to create a dies set that could be adjusted anywhere from the 222 to the Javalina, to the tiny little cases only .75 long. I have been happily plugging along with such a set for 20 plus years now and it still works!

As a plus it will move/form nice shoulders on 22 Hornet, 327, 32 mag, 30 carbine and a whole bevy of others. Pretty handy and pretty quick! Combine that with the little chop saw from Harbor Freight, and a neck sizing plate like our old pal Blaine Eddy made once upon a time, and you can form anything from anything in short order.

Just a thought or two