Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-15-2020, 07:06 PM

Rider, my CZ Hornet KO's a young Columbia Ground squirrel (gopher) at 354yards the first season I had it, along with dozens between 50 and 250 yards.
That was with a 40gr. Vmax at 3,200fps using RP brass and Lil'Gun.
The second year I used that rifle, I had increased the load producing 3,357fps with the 40gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip and managed a larger buck gopher at 445yards.
In modern guns, the Hornet is nothing shot of amazing. Accuracy wise, those 40gr. bullets and those loads, produced 100 meter groups smaller than 1/4" on centres.

Last edited by Daryl; 01-16-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:22 AM
Supporting Member

Daryl,
I too have made extreme shot on P'ds with the hornet but for consistent hits 200 +- is a practical distance for me. I am surprised at the damage that the 40 gr. polymer tipped bullets do when compared to a 20 gr from the 17 AH.
Rider
Old 01-16-2020, 03:18 PM

None of the available .22 Hornets were 100% "dream quality" for me. A Sako L-46 would have been close, but one for the right price never came along. I've owned everything you can imagine: Brnos, CZs, a BSA Hunter, Ruger #1s and #3s, Kimbers, Anschutzes, an ULA, a Dakota Model 10, an M70, Coopers (still have the ULA and one Anschutz), but none was just right, either due to magazine length restrictions, barrel twist rate, or action size, so I ended up having to make mine.

This is one of my very first "scratch" builds. I finished this rifle in 2003 after about 3 years of work. It is an 80%-size coil spring Winchester Low Wall. I made every part, including every pin, screw, and spring. The major parts are made of 4140 and heat-treated appropriately. The only major operation I did not do myself was the cutting of the block mortise, which I had a local machine shop perform using wire EDM, and the only departure from the original Low Wall design -- aside from scale -- was simplifying and moving the extractor to the 6 o'clock position. It has more leverage but less travel than the original design.

It is a .22 Hornet, using a 1:12" Badger Barrel blank. An appropriate charge of 1680 behind a Nosler 40 gr BT will produce 3/4" groups, but, being so light, bench technique is very important. Honestly, although the Baby Redfield looks good, it is a limiting factor for me, even at only 100 yards, but anything larger just overwhelms the rifle. I'm guessing I've shot about 50 prairie dogs with it.

This little jewel weighs only 4.5 pounds, and I took a pic of me holding it to give a sense of scale, as it is extremely petite. I bought the English walnut blank many years ago and waited for the perfect project, and, as you can see, the figure is incredible.

If ever there was a rifle I would consider having buried with me, this is it, but my oldest son will get it when I'm gone:

TBR
Old 01-16-2020, 04:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Bear Rat View Post
None of the available .22 Hornets were 100% "dream quality" for me. A Sako L-46 would have been close, but one for the right price never came along. I've owned everything you can imagine: Brnos, CZs, a BSA Hunter, Ruger #1s and #3s, Kimbers, Anschutzes, an ULA, a Dakota Model 10, an M70, Coopers (still have the ULA and one Anschutz), but none was just right, either due to magazine length restrictions, barrel twist rate, or action size, so I ended up having to make mine.

This is one of my very first "scratch" builds. I finished this rifle in 2003 after about 3 years of work. It is an 80%-size coil spring Winchester Low Wall. I made every part, including every pin, screw, and spring. The major parts are made of 4140 and heat-treated appropriately. The only major operation I did not do myself was the cutting of the block mortise, which I had a local machine shop perform using wire EDM, and the only departure from the original Low Wall design -- aside from scale -- was simplifying and moving the extractor to the 6 o'clock position. It has more leverage but less travel than the original design.

It is a .22 Hornet, using a 1:12" Badger Barrel blank. An appropriate charge of 1680 behind a Nosler 40 gr BT will produce 3/4" groups, but, being so light, bench technique is very important. Honestly, although the Baby Redfield looks good, it is a limiting factor for me, even at only 100 yards, but anything larger just overwhelms the rifle. I'm guessing I've shot about 50 prairie dogs with it.

This little jewel weighs only 4.5 pounds, and I took a pic of me holding it to give a sense of scale, as it is extremely petite. I bought the English walnut blank many years ago and waited for the perfect project, and, as you can see, the figure is incredible.

If ever there was a rifle I would consider having buried with me, this is it, but my oldest son will get it when I'm gone:

TBR

Sweetheart!! Nice one TBR
Old 01-16-2020, 05:18 PM

Default 22h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
A nice fancy wood #1 Ruger would make a nice Hornet.
I had one, nice to look at, poor accuracy.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:12 PM

Beautiful work!

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 01-16-2020, 06:25 PM

TBRat - that is special indeed.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
I had one, nice to look at, poor accuracy.
I've had a couple #1's, that both shot well with appropriate action and bedding work.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:36 AM
Supporting Member

Yes sir that is one fine looking rifle.

Tom
Old 01-17-2020, 01:41 AM
Supporting Member

TBR

I can not imagine how much work went into that rifle. I am amazed at your abilities and the final outcome! You should be very pleased! I hope your son is appreciative.