Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2016, 10:57 PM

Default 17gn 17cal projectiles

I have been given 50 17gn projectiles pulled from Federal Premium 17HMR ammo after the necks split on them, this equalled 10 % failure rate on the factory Federal ammo, but that's another story.

My questions: are these readily available over your side of the wide blue yonder ?
I am wanting to try the ones I have in my 17/222 and if I find a good load with the ones I have, would probably like to get some more projectiles.

Has anyone tried them in either a 17/222 or its little brother 17Mach 1V/17 Fireball ?

Probably more questions but these two will either make or break my testing.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2016, 11:43 PM
Supporting Member

I know guys have used them in larger cases but I don't see a reason too. I got over 4K fps I the 17 AH.

Keep in mind that Hornady won't sell them as a reloading component because they are designed for <3k fps.

They really work well around 3500 fps out of my cooper 17 CCM and make a noticeable WHOOP when they hit a PD. I love them in that lil CCM case. In my hornet I never used them other than a velocity test for someone else to see how fast they go before coming apart. The 20 gr works awesome in that.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:12 AM

Thanks mate for the reply, only reason I would use the 17/222 is its the only 17 calibre I have.

I am mainly interested in them for fur shooting foxes, have used some other 20 and 22 gn projectiles but the occasional one leaves big holes in the head if not hit in the right spot, 20/222 with 32 gners does even more damage to the head skin. thought these might blow up inside and not come out, even if I don't get them in the right spot, kinda making up for slack shooting every now and then.

I wouldn't mind if I had to run them slower to stop them blowing up mid flight, good accuracy out to a couple of hundred yards is more important to me than out right speed.

I guess the big tripping point is the availability of bulk lots of them. I did even think of buying a 500 brick of HMR ammo and pulling the projectiles, they will cost me around 150 bucks over here, that would work out at 30 bucks per 100 projectiles which is below the average cost of 17 projectiles them selves. I think I may be able to get some 17Mk2 ammo even cheaper.

Ill give them a bit of a test out and see how the ones I have go.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:59 AM
Supporting Member

Those 17/17s are accurate out of my 17CCM and I've made some long PD shots but they run out of energy pretty fast. At 200 plus yards you hit a PD and it just stops moving. Go look at it and you can barely tell it's been hit.

The 15.5 gr bullet it really nice also. I haven't seen any of these small reject bullets for quite some time.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:36 PM

For saving Fox hides the 25 gr Berger varmint bullet is the best I have found. I shot well over a thousand with 17 cal bullets from 20-30 grains. The berger will stay in head or body shots under 200 yards,start them near 3900 and sewing will seldom be needed. Mike.